The FTP Challenge

For real, I’m going to do it. But not this week.

4 Likes

Sadly, can only click the LIKE button once for this post.

-Mark

5 Likes

Yeah, he’s pretty adamant in dispelling that on the message boards. The duration could be from 40mins to over an hour.

1 Like

When his missus suggested introducing some “50 shades of grey stuff” he really took it the wrong way :astonished::smile:

5 Likes

Maybe, but that’s another thread. This thread is about accepting the challenge to hold the power number generated by a recent ramp test for as long as possible. Not to exceed 1 hour. Unless you want to.

All this other business about whether or not FTP is an Hour Power or even whether or not FTP is a reasonable estimation of any sort of lactate threshold is some other thread. :wink: This thread is more about screwing around for fun.

And also about whether or not Chris21 actually exists.

1 Like

I have already done it once indoor.

1 Like

I was more meaning that it has traditionally been perceived by the more lay public as hour power, and often presented as such for simplicity’s sake. I could point to hundreds of articles in on cycling websites and in cycling magazines that have simplified to just say FTP = hour power, even though that’s not really what it is.

well I’m attempting Lamarck today @ 295w as a test after doing SSB2HV based on 285. Pray for me! lol

I’ll probably time it so I can jump on a zwift race and maybe that’ll serve as slight motivation to not crumble!

1 Like

Think again:

They keep saying that FTP isn’t supposed to be hour power, yet 1 hour at FTP is TSS of 100… All TSS is normalized to doing 1 hour at FTP.

2 Likes

What if I told you that NP and TSS are just metrics built on assumptions?

5 Likes

This :point_up_2:t3:

1 Like

Put me down for two hours!

2 Likes

How did you find that? What is going on. Nothing is real anymore.

1 Like

That’s fine and all… just pointing out that the waters were not muddied all on their own. That assumption that 1 hour TT = 100 TSS is a big source of why people would think FTP = hour power.

As for my contribution towards this thread. I don’t ramp test any more, but holding my manually set FTP for 1 hour indoors (on rollers in my case) would be very, very, very hard.

That’s a breakdown of the current ‘state of the art’ of how FTP is understood.

2 Likes

@bbarrera see, I feel like you understand FTP in a way that I can’t. Yet.

1 Like

My ego hates the ramp test results, but loves it for this challenge :rofl:

Global Hour Record day?

• I’m in
  • No eff’n way

0 voters

3 Likes

All of my best cycling commitments started exactly this way.

5 Likes