The end of Mavic

They did. Not sure what you meant by “unsuccessfully” as it while unrefined, still worked.

1 Like

“unsuccessfully” is maybe indeed a bit inaccurate. I meant that it didn’t really catch on at the time. Still :+1:t2: for pioneering

1 Like

Time is also ending, or selling off if they can, their frame making division. That’ll be a real shame, I love my Look bike but have also lusted after a Time Alpe d’Huez 01 lately.

Never understood the popularity of the Kysrium.

2 Likes

Actually had two systems: Mavic ZAP and Mavic Mektronik.

Prior to that they had the very good components that stood up nicely to the Campy Super Record standard. Their Tout Mavic component parts won a crap ton of pro races and included the final iteration a very elegant SSC groupset. The 631 version was striking with black anodized derailleur parts, sculpted shift and brake levers and the iconic “starfish” crankset.

Mavic doesn’t get nearly enough credit for their pioneering ways in aerodynamics and rims. They made the first aluminum rim. They were early adopters of cartridge bearings (vs cup and cone). They had robust deep rims, trispokes and outstanding disk wheels at the fore of development. Their Comete track wheels are standard equipment. Their mountain bike rims were outstanding and they pioneered ceramic coatings.

There was a time where GP4s were pretty much the standard tubular rim and MA40’s were everywhere. The SSC Helium wheel set (red ones) brokered an era of chi-chi prebuilt wheel sets.

Then Salomon-Addidas happened and bushings in hubs instead of bearings, R-SYS, CrySyriums and too much meh… downhill trajectory sadly.

I hope they get acquired by someone who values the brand for more than a logo.

6 Likes

I rode Mavic Mektronic for a couple of years…I actually liked it a fair amount. LOVED the shifters w/ the inward “horns” with shift buttons on the end. For a guy who’s strength is SweetSpot riding, I’d tuck into the position and be able to flip through my gears w/o moving. It was awesome.

The biggest problem of the system was that it was powered by the rear derailleur pulley. So if you were coasting, it didn’t shift…if you were pedaling slowly, it shifted slowly. (And the FD was still a mech operation).

I still maintain that their default multiple shift point strategy was a better option that what anyone else is doing today. Today’s systems are basically the same experience but electronically controlled. The Mavic approach was better, IMO, in that it was a whole different experience. But in 1999, it was too far of a stretch.

In the early 90’s, I rode their SSC system (with Dura-Ace STI). I loved that stuff. Their headset was a brilliant design. You can have my Mavic crank when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

1 Like

YMMV but my Mavic wheels were always pretty much bullet proof. I had a Ksyrium drop into an expansion joint in the road once that grabbed the wheel, brought the bike to an instant halt, flung me over the bars, and twisted my bars/stem dramatically. I figured he wheel was trashed, but it wasn’t even a millimeter out of true. Very well made.

I still have a set of Ksyrium Allroad on my cross/gravel rig, and even a cheap Aksium on my commuter.

The thing is, almost any innovative product will create as many haters as lovers. People’s opinions change rapidly when they feel theyve been mistreated, perhaps in a warranty claim it would appear?

But to each their own. I’d hate to see them go away, but the market determines the winners, so we will see.

2 Likes

I think we’re due for a reckoning for many of the wheel manufacturers that aren’t the primary OEM for a major brand. It didn’t matter how good Mavic are, the cash and stability are clearly with either being a low-margin operator (Lightbicycle, Yoeleo, etc.) or being part of a larger conglomerate (Roval, ZIPP, etc.)

2 Likes

It’s the French government. They would just nationalize it.

Mavic hadn’t had a good product line in 10+ years. They had strong branding, but their only customers weren’t going to buy their bad aero wheels and they drove off their young repeat customers with highly bendable low end wheelsets. Sorry their employee and partners are getting hosed.

I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium ES and they have been great every day wheels. You’ll know when the rear hub needs to be serviced but other than that they have been great for me.

Based on my experience with their wheels, I’m surprised at all the negative feedback here. Maybe I’ve been lucky with my wheels.

3 Likes

What exactly is classless about someone stating their opinion? He’s not telling them to burn in hell or something, so I don’t see where the outrage is warranted…

Never cared for their stuff honestly, I think there are better options at their price points. A buddy of mine bought some of their Carbon Exalith wheels and they were heavier than the competition at the same price point, and he could never quite get the brakes to stop rubbing out of the saddle, a problem he did not have with the old ENVE they replaced, or the ZIPP 404 on his next bike. Mavic also loved using proprietary parts which made service a pain in the ass. Good luck calling up your LBS for one of their carbon fiber spokes in a hurry, or working with one of their unique hubs on other models.

2 Likes

Thank you for talking about my death…bit classless yourself I should say :man_shrugging:

wow. who would have expected this… Mavic, the most contentious topic since polarised training :joy:

2 Likes

I was just trying to keep peace on the forum…

1 Like

This is true of almost all the big wheel companies, you cant find a spoke in stock for Roval or DT either, much less Campy or Fulcrum. My bike shops here in the ATX probably don’t have an Aero Sapim or Double butted Dt of ANY kind in stock. “We can have it by Tuesday” - “Well so can I man…at my house”.

Is what it is. I’d bet that if I swing by any big bike shop in this town other than Nelos and ask for a spoke that would fit any DT Hub/ENVE rim or equivalent, they won’t have it.

I have Bontrager wheels and they use regular bladed straight pulls 262 and 270mm which my shop has plenty of. My buddy has Sun Ringle wheels on his Stache and was able to get a 285mm spoke same day from my LBS. I busted a rear spoke on my FUEL EX and they fixed it same day too. Maybe luck

No, Amer owner both but they sold off Mavic. They still own ENVE along with a bunch of other brands like Arcteryx, Salomon, Atomic. Hell they even own Wilson.

1 Like

I’ve never owned a pair myself but I’ve ridden a few on borrowed wheels and bikes from time to time and thought the road well. I’ve heard that Mavic’s UST is way better than anyone else’s tubeless setups. The thing that has kept me from buying their wheels is the narrow internal width. Most of their road wheels are all 17mm which was fine 10 years ago, but the rest of the industry has left them behind

Mavic Track 5 spoke and rear track disc are still used by a majority of world class track cyclists, though many other brands are catching up.

I’ve got a pair of Askium Races that came on a bike I bought in 2011. The bike has about 7500 outdoor miles on them. I think I’ve used a spoke wrench on them once, and I’m close to 200lbs… Maybe they’re downhill from 2009/2010, but I got nothing negative to say about them.

2 Likes