ENVE 6.7 wheels

Greetings all, I’m a long time TR user, but never been on the forum before.

Bizarrely my first post is not about TR!

I am lucky enough to own a 2018 Scott Foil RC which is my pride and joy.

I have just agreed to buy some ENVE 6.7 wheels, dating back to 2014, but have apparently only covered 230 miles in the ownership of a female rider, so should be mint.
They also have Chris King hubs, which I gather are well revered.

I read and watched a raft of reviews, and they seem to be in the main very positive, and quite well regarded wheels.
I currently have Mavic 50mm rims on front and rear.

I’m not sure if they will come with skewers, or brake pads - does anyone know on here whether I need to purchase ENVE specific brake pads, or whether generic carbon brake pads are fine?

I notice they seem to make grey and black brake pads, but not sure what the difference is.

Thanks

Dan

I’m sure there will be some debate on here about the pads, but my advice is to use the ENVE ones. Sure the black prince or other compounds will probably be fine, but there is zero harm in using the ENVE pads just to ensure they’re a match for the rim. Also, I believe 2014 will be the older smooth brake track, I’d do everything possible to preserve it.

Thankyou for the fast reply - I will go ENVE brake pads in that case.

That is the wheel itself, does it look like the smooth braking surface then?
I’m used to the excellent Exalith braking surface, so am hoping these will not be too much of a drop down in braking performance :neutral_face:

Hoping I haven’t made a bad choice here.

To add, I have just found a post that suggests the grey pad are for the older smooth rims (Which we are fairly sure the above are?) and the black ones are for the newer textured rims.

I would do my best to avoid riding this bike in the wet anyway, as I appreciate wet weather performance will be poor.

Oh and another question - the internal rim depth is 19mm front, and 16mm rear.

My Mavics are 17mm front and rear.

I was planning to run 25mm GP5000 on the rear, and either the same up front, or a 28mm could be used - can you see any issue with the above approach?
The GP5000 tyres measure up at 1mm narrowe when inflated.

I’ve had two sets of the older brake track, they are pretty bad in the wet, but fine for normal use. Don’t overheat them! You’ll be fine otherwise, they’re still good wheels.

Not sure I follow, but the SES design was different width, the recommended tire size is 25mm; however, if your frame can take 28’s those will be fine too, there might be a aero disadvantage (whatever that means).

That’s fair enough, as long as they perform adequately in the dry, that will be the intended 100% of usage, though you can’t always foresee rain I appreciate.

Do you still own a pair, or have you got shot of them all?

Do the pics above look like the smooth surface - 99% sure, as it looks like textured did not appear until about 2017.

I understood the rims were different widths due to aerodynamic research, but hadn’t twigged you were meant to run different size tyres front and rear.

So I imagine I can either run 23r\25f, 25r\25f, or 25r\28f - with the 5000s the latter I believe would come out as 24mm and 27mm - the rear is a bit tight on this bike, so wouldn’t want to go wider than that.

Just ordered some grey brake pads, £25 per pair delivered - wonder if I should buy a couple of pairs in case they stop making them.

I still own two pairs, both of which were warrantied out and received the updated brake tracks. Don’t worry though, one of those replacements was absolutely tortured to failure (in normal riding conditions) the other was just cosmetic blemishes. The wheels in your pic look as new as they were advertised to be, ride them and enjoy.

Also on tire size, the SES design runs the same tire width which is slightly altered due to the rim width. But run whatever combination you’re comfortable with, even if it that means a mixed F/R setup.