Tenerife and Mt Teide

Im UK based as well I took my own rim brake bike to Tenerife but a few months later I hired one in Calpe set up with the rest of the world standard (reversed brakes) I don’t think it made a difference to me. When I go to Calpe again this year I hired again, touch wood I was right i my thinking :neutral_face:

Also my experience (just the other way around)

Normally riding with ‘world standard brakes’, but have been riding ‘uk brakes’ on rental bike. Honestly, not a problem at all either.

1 Like

Just as long as you’re aware, and do the right thing when it gets sketchy. I hired a bike a few years ago in Gran Canaria and had a scary moment fishtailing on a steep descent, wondering why I couldn’t slow properly, thinking I wouldn’t make the corner. It was only slightly later I’d realised that my instinctive brake balancing failed with them reversed!

It probably helps I am a cautious descender anyway :neutral_face:

I’m not a great climber, 2,85 W/kg avg on climbs like this. It took me 5h and then 1h of stops for the loop. Made the classic scenic ride (anti-clock wise) from La Camella to Costa Adeje. Rented the bike + guided tour with a partner of Miguel he’s a great guide!

I’m just on Tenerife. For surf and hike, no bike with me. From what I’ve seen it’s a beautiful island.

We’re staying on the way up the Teide and I can recommend bringing warm clothes for the ride, it’s been borderline cold

1 Like

I take a small lightweight backpack holding arm warmers, gilet and if very cloudy a Shakedry jacket and lights (visibility can get down to 20-30 yards in thick cloud/fog). It’s a negligible weight to carry on the way up but makes the going down a lot more pleasant. Because it’s a continuous decent you aren’t peddling much so aren’t generating much heat and can get very cold.

1 Like

I can only agree with the comments re: weather conditions. The descent from the cable car down towards Puerto de la Cruz was dreadful at the top, howling wind and bitterly cold, a totally different day at the bottom. Be prepared.

Just back from 2 weeks in San Isidro. 6 times up Teide with a couple of extended loops over the top and down the east and west sides.

It really is a fantastic climb and I never tire of doing it. There was a mini heat-wave - 30c at sea level, never below 20c at night and cloudless skies. Unusual for this time of year according to locals. Didn’t need the extra layers for the descent this year so didn’t bother taking the backpack for the last few rides.

3 Likes