Tarmac SL7 Release date

I’ve owned a Scott Foil, Tarmac SL3, Tarmac SL5 and Allez Sprint (all rim brake).
I did a few 30km punch rides and 230km longer rides (total 700km) with my new SL7 in the last 2 weeks.
I’m stunned by the performance of the bike and the wheels. I’m 60kg and in 3-4bft crosswinds the wheels perform superbe!
I did a 230km in Valkenburg (±3000hm) and settled a lot of new PR’s.
But the biggest gamechanger happened on the punchy climbs, took some KOM and PR’s.
I think the 4iii measures a little under my other bikes’ Power2Max, but nothing special.
I’m very very very happy about the SL7, it’s super stiff, yet at 5-6bar it has a lot of comfort.
Big change compared to my SL5, which is also a great bike.

3 Likes

A recent Silca podcast with Ruckus composites discussed this possibility… that they’re making the frames, weighing them, and stratifying the models based on how they end up weighing in post-build like they do with computer processors. Kind of an interesting episode.

1 Like

Could you expand a bit?

2 Likes

I’m still delighted with it: I’m faster, I’m now experiencing almost no discomfort and pain on longer rides to the point where I feel like I could ride all day, and any time I have a spare hour I’m out riding it (often at the expense of an indoor workout). I’m still setting PRs on most rides and I took it out for my first metric century last weekend (68mi, 2800ft elevation in 4:13) and plan to go the same distance this coming weekend. I’ve also picked up two Strava KOMs on sprint segments in in my area.

I had a bit of an issue with it in the first two weeks where I kept getting punctures on my rear wheel (3 in 10 days, 2 on one ride) and I wasn’t sure how much was just bad luck and how much was setup. I was running it at 90psi which I now know was a little soft for those tires and my weight (230lbs) and I haven’t had any issues since increasing to 95psi front / 110 rear. This does mean the ride is a little harsher than it was and I get a fair amount of road buzz. It is still more comfortable than my previous bike and only really noticeable on poor roads. I have a set of 28c GP5000s which I bought to switch to next time I got a puncture, but that hasn’t happened yet.

Overall, I think it’s a great bike and was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

2 Likes

I will have to check that out. Ruckus made some interesting comments on the cycling tips podcast. He was suggesting that all the marketing around different grades of carbon was more marketing than reality. He said that if a frame was truly built around the highest grade high modulus carbon that it would cost $100k.

Addendum: in the Marginal Gains podcast he says something similar and quotes $40K.

Part me believes that most of the carbon frame marketing is BS - high mod, super high mod, etc. According to Ruckus, there are only two sources of carbon fiber and around 12 factories that make almost all the bikes.

He also said that he sees a lot of fiberglass in frames, especially chain stays. And in thick areas they use cheap, lower quality carbon.

On the plus side, he did say that the top bikes from the top makers (Specialized and Trek) were really fine, well made, bikes.

4 Likes

If I had done a test ride I would not have bought it because it is not superior in any aspect to either of the bikes it was supposed to be replacing. (2018 R3 rim Dura Ace and 2018 Madone rim Etap 11s) Apart from looks. Yeah. Looks awesome.

Interesting.

I do find it surprising that test-riding bikes seems to be an exception not the norm, or that many bike shops are reluctant (though I know the practical reasons why). Most top end (new) bikes are the price of a reasonably good second-hand car, and I don’t imagine many of us would buy one of those without driving it.

Not a dig at you, btw - more just a comment on something I think is wrong with parts of the industry.

1 Like

Test rides are still possible, but require some extra steps from shops that choose to offer them.

Totally up to the discretion of each shop, so experiences will vary.

1 Like

TBF I was thinking more generally (and certainly pre-pandemic). Virtually everyone I’ve known/heard of who has been unhappy with a high-end bike purchase has bought without test-riding, and it was the same 20 years ago! I appreciate at the moment it’s problematic. It does raise the question ‘would you drop 8k (for example) without a test ride?’ Some shops near me aren’t even offering fitting on new bikes atm.

2 Likes
  • Understood now, wasn’t clear in the prior post.
  • Varies with region and shop, but there is not a wide range of top end equipment in stock at most shops. Many get a single size as a “flagship” or “halo model” to show off. If you happen to match that size AND the shop will offer a test ride on a $5k+ bike… then you are golden.

• But often the exact size and model you want is not even available for riding in the first place.

• Yes, yes, and yes… I personally have done it many times.
  • Our shop has also sold many top end models with no test ride (equip availability issue usually) or done a minimal test on a similar model when possible.
  • This is a much more pricey issue compared to stocking a size run and model range of bikes in the sub $2k range, that is quite common for many shops.
  • Right, CV related issue here and far more tricky than a “simple” test ride. Some shops are doing them again, with special precautions. I happen to have done about 10 through this season with masks, extra cleaning and such. So, still open to what people and the related locations are able and willing to do.
1 Like

I don’t want to derail the thread completely, but some interesting replies there. Disregarding CV19 for the moment (I know, I know…), I do think test ride facilities are/could be a major selling point.

For example, my last purchase (a Mason) was bought partly on the strength of that; the ability to try a couple of different models/specs on a reasonable test course (9.5 miles) was the clincher for me. I was probably edging towards a different brand but as the test ride was available I decided to try the Mason anyway. Also, while I know them putting me on a higher-spec model (after trying one similar to what I enquired about) was a classic sales trick, it was a successful one and resulted in another c.1k on my spend. The demo bikes are apparently specifically taken out of stock at the start of the year and sold as ex-demo at the end. The guy I dealt with reckoned 75%-80% of test rides resulted in sales, so it was well worth it for them.

I know Mason make and sell their own bikes, which makes it much easier for them to do this than an LBS, but surely the big companies could have some sort of ‘demo fleet’ which LBS’s could request one from? Just thinking out loud, really. I’m sure you/someone with more knowledge of the business side of the industry will be along shortly to tell me why that’s impossible/a stupid idea, and if so, fair enough :smiley:

Nice reviews from everyone and I really envy you because my lbs told me I would get the bike at the end of august, wasn’t the case, and now I’m waiting for it for the end of the current month.

If I don’t get it now I’m thinking about delaying the bike for next year because of I have seen some ppl saying the new shimano d12 gonna b introduced on December and will hit the market on may 2021, just before the new tarmac for 2021.

That’s what’s on my mind right now.

Test rides are tricky - tires and saddles can make a big ride quality difference - generally test ride bikes have stock tires and saddle and if you like or dislike them can influence positively/negatively the experience.

obviously these can be changed but not all shops are willing to mess with the test ride bikes

4 Likes

This is a big grumble of mine, as I feel the manufacturers are taking the biscuit with this. I appreciate you can’t have a demo bike for every size and model, but they should offer something. Of course, those of us who hand over the money for these expensive bikes don’t help the matter as they wouldn’t sell many if everyone insisted on a test ride first.

1 Like

Some brands will offer “demo” discounts to shops to buy a range of bike sizes for rental and demo purposes. These often come at a deep discount, with stipulations that they be used for a season before being sold. It’s meant to prevent gaming the system and selling discounted gear at full price and the shop pocketing the extra margin. But as we know, not everyone follows the rules.

Even with that, you are looking at bikes of a given model and spec, which falls well short of top end bikes. And you aren’t likely to find a shop that has a run of Race, Endurance, Gravel and such that covers the whole range of bikes.

I don’t think there is an easy answer here, or we wouldn’t see such a problem.

I find it odd that a shop won’t allow you to take it on a short test ride. I mean 20 minutes isn’t going to drop the value of the bike. If it gets wrecked you use your insurance, or the shop uses theirs. IT might require someone to pay up the deductible, but that wouldn’t put me off.

I was at 4 shops within 2 days and was able to ride at all of them. I rode 2 Roubaix at Shop A, 2 Domane’s and 1 Emonda from Shop B, A Domane, BMC (old stock), Emonda (older) at Shop C and then at Shop D (where I purchase my Tarmac) I rode the Roubaix base model, SL6 Taramc (what I got) and the SL7. They even let me test ride the following week again and I brought my new SL6 and swapped back and forth 3-4 times and did 10 minutes to 15 on each one.

I left them my license and a CC.

As I said earlier, I settled on the SL6 due to price (sale at $3800) it rode really smooth, and I didn’t love the idea of adding an additional $1200 to my CC for a new bike). I also didn’t love the coloring of the expert, and figured I could wait a year or more and transfer or upgrade later.

I honestly wouldn’t buy a new top of the line bike if I couldn’t test ride it.

1 Like

Which is why I wanted to use my wheels to test ride. That way its the exact same tire/pressure I’m used to so can get a better feel. But no, they wouldn’t let me. And one shop where I test rode a Madone had the isospeed at the firm setting which was very uncomfortable for me so I asked if it would be adjusted. They said no and would only adjust the saddle height. It really isn’t that hard to do so of course I biked to my car for a hex wrench and adjusted the bike. So much better and so comfy, but my legs brushed the seat stays while biking which I thought could get annoying. (Had a first gen garmin radar that had the same issue and over time slightly widened my legs as I biked so caused some fit issues)

Short test rides can also be hard to judge much from. My current bike felt fine in the parking lot, only when I did my first long ride did I realize how a more upright position of an endurance bike is painful on my back. Thankfully slamming the stem took away the pain but still think being lower would be comfier, hence the interest in the Tarmac.

30 years since I first started working in a bike shop and it still amazes how hard some shops work to put themselves out of business.

Unbelievable.

3 Likes

Kind of wish shops had rentals. Would love to rent a Tarmac for the weekend to do my usual rides to see how it feels

1 Like

Say what???

I’m new to cycling and have only dealt with my LBS.

It’s shocking to hear some of the feedback in this thread as my experience has been completely different.

My LBS:

1. When a bike launches (e.g. Roubaix) they will have a demo day/group ride in which you can try the different bikes in the range.

2. They keep a demo fleet of new models, size 49-61, sport/expert/comp and pro models all available to rent ($45 per day that goes towards purchase of bike).

3. Test rides…if you want to take it for a spin around town, just drop a CC, ID and have a member of staff ride with you.

Even during the pandemic, I’ve test rode 5 bikes (Diverge 2022, Tarmac Pro, Creo and a few Roubaix).

Now they did mention they had to wipe them down or whatever covid precautions.

I guess I’ve been lucky as my LBS has been amazing. Reading these comments makes me appreciate them that much more.

3 Likes