Target Power data field missing after latest Garmin update

Hey Everyone (sorry, long post incoming),

For all newer 30 models, we now recommend athletes use the “Target” data field that’s nested in the “Workouts” data field category. This is in lieu of what we recommended before Garmin’s recent update (the “Target Power” field nested in the “Indoor Training” data field category).

With the new “Target” data field:

• You’ll see a power target range instead of a specific power target number
  • You’ll also see your average power for the current interval

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 2.41.34 PM

Like many of you on 30 models have noted, you’ll no longer see a single power target anymore.

(From what I’ve tested on my 520, the “Target Power” field works like it did before (shows a single power target) and is still what we recommend for older models.)

The pain point some of us may have with the new data field is we’ll always see a power target range instead of a specific number.

Here are a couple examples of how this’ll work now:

• For workouts where we prescribe a set wattage (like Carson), Garmin automatically makes this range +/- 10w (e.g. the interval in the screenshot above is prescribed at 255 by TR — Garmin shows 245-265 as the range you’re shooting for).
  • For workouts where we prescribe a range (like Geiger), Garmin uses the exact range we send them (the previous “Target Power” field was the midpoint of that range).

It’s essentially the reverse of what we had before.

To double check your interval structure for the day, open the TrainerRoad app or login to TrainerRoad.com to see whether you should be shooting for a range in your interval or to take a specific midpoint of the range that you’ll see on your garmin.

I’m sorry for the confusion that this has led to! Our article on the custom screen had a few areas that weren’t updated clearly.

Let me know if this helps and if I can explain anything else with these new changes.

12 Likes