Tacx Neo Smart Bike (dedicated bike)

(photo from instructions tacx sent me, but mine looks exactly the same inside)

belt

1 Like

A direct-drive trainer with a step-down belt-pulley system makes use of the bike’s gearing to drop the torque down, so the belt system faces lower torque values (and higher rpms). The Tacx system is from the “chainring”, so faces a higher torque. This said, step-down belt-pulley systems on trainers have not proven to be too great so far - both Wahoo and Tacx have seen multiple reliability issues. It appears the design decisions may have erred a little too far to the cost management side.

Could you share those Kickr belt specifications? I too have found the guidance very vague regarding belt tension.

I’m guessing a bit here, but I’d imagine that the profile of the belt will play a role in whether a tensioner is possible or not.

I know that for many belts, you don’t want to fold them past a specific point (i.e. the Gates belts) and I’m not sure how this plays into a toothed versus v-belt :man_shrugging:

Even with the tensioner I was able to get my belt to slip and make squealing noises on the pulleys. I would think that means that the belt was too loose for the torque that I developed by standing up. It’s not like I am a huge powerhouse or something. The power was set for 350W and I was just accelerating from a stop. TR kicked the resistance in and I stood up for 5 or 10 seconds. At least it didn’t break.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I don’t recall the tension bolt requiring much torque, so I don’t know how precisely I could measure the torque.

After almost a year since I ordered the bike, my Tacx Neo Bike arrived today. Its one heavy unit!

Unfortunately I have the same problem with my thighs rubbing against both the saddle ‘slider’ unit and the seatpost itself in the same manner you describe.

The unit also had a ‘pinging’ sound every few seconds in the resistance unit at some RPMs.

Whilst this second issue may resolve itself, or under warranty, the first is a fundamental design issue (at least in relation to my body type), and so sadly I’ve already sent a note over to the shop for a return.

Definitely a ‘try before you buy’ if possible.

Matthew

1 Like

Matthew, or anyone else with a unit and a ruler – how wide is the seat post? Hoping to compare to my current setup, or perhaps mock it up (cardboard?) and see if it’s likely to be problematic.

Thanks!

Roughly 6cm wide total, with 4cm in the center and 1cm taper on each side

Thanks, Steve. But to confirm: mm, or cm? I meant the area(s) where everybody’s thighs are rubbing on the bike.

1 Like

Yes sorry, cm!

2 Likes

See a thread on twitter by @dcrainmaker about thigh clearance:

1 Like

Thats helpful. My SO has some thigh touch but it looks like it would actually be worse with the Wahoo bike.

For those with the bike, is it easy enough to clip on aerobars? Looking at the images I can find online, it looks like it should be - although of course it will need to be set quite wide to clear the centre console.

Thanks

No problem with clip on bars fitting on the handlebars. However the display is really in the way and makes the bars quite far apart. Not that it matters for aero reasons . However, I wanted to have the same position as on my actual bike and that didn’t work.

2 Likes

One comment- I don’t think that it is just the width that matters but also where in the pedal stroke it occurs. I had a big problem with the Neo Bike and the down tube. This happened when my legs were at the bottom of the pedal stroke and almost straight. When my legs are nearer to the top of the stroke they have several cm more spacing and I don’t think that the Kickr Bike would be a problem. Again, try before you buy (which I didn’t do) and with the bike in your preferred setup.

Added link to GPLama’s Part 1 video in the OP and here for easy access.

1 Like

Added link to GPLama’s Part 2 video in the OP and here for easy access.

2 Likes

Yo!

Got mine on Wednesday, but will be out of town until next Friday. I managed to get in a session of Dicks -2.

My initial thoughts - I’m very happy. My thighs do touch, but you have to actively pay attention to it for it to be annoying, and I’m pretty sure I can change how the saddle clamps to fix it. The bike itself is super smooth and amazingly quiet. TR instantly recognized it as a Neo Smart Bike. The fans are weak but very much usable for my face while a more powerful Clevr blaster keeps my body cool. Lastly, the tablet holder is generous and is the first tablet mount I’ve seen that can stably support my Google Pixel Slate (a 12’’ tablet).

I’ll post something more organized with maybe a few pics on some improvements I have in mind. I’m very happy and it is exactly what I was expecting. Any of the negative things I was worried about are non-issues (the handlebar is super stable, the thigh touching non-issue, cheap plastic looking fan and mounts are not as cheap looking in real life, etc). My one gripe is the cabling is a little sloppy, but nothing a strategic zip tie won’t fix.

7 Likes

I did a ~4 hour indoor ride on the Neo Bike yesterday and I’ve gotta say it was pretty nice. I’m still waiting on the firmware fix for Erg mode from Tacx, but after getting my position dialed in and finding a good saddle that works for both me and my SO, the bike is fulfilling what I wanted out of it.

Rotating the handlebars up a bit and really getting millimeter perfect on the setback made a huge difference in the comfort.

Takes less than 15 seconds to swap between my position and my SO’s. She’s been really enjoying it as well.

5 Likes