Sweetspot much harder than VO2

Some people don’t think it’s a funny thing.
Only SSBHV2 is 100% SS; LV2 and MV2 are something like 25% SS.

Thanks everyone, lots of comments and lots to think about. I will definitely make some changes to my preparation ie fuelling and cooling to make those sustained efforts feel a bit easier.

Sounds like I haven’t gotten to the really hard VO2 workouts yet so might be saying something different in a week or so. :grimacing:

1 Like

2 Likes

The only thing I’d say in favour of this plan (and believe me, I’d love it to be a lot easier!) is that the Tuesday workout for 5 out of the 6 weeks doesn’t elevate heart rate into the anaerobic zone (for me at least). That gives it a grey area where biology-wise it’s more like sweet spot/a little easier but muscle wise during those intervals it’s pretty intense - and obviously it builds over the weeks to become harder and harder.

A more obvious comparison is some of the microburst workouts which look intimidating, but are actually purely sweet spot in terms of both average power and heart rate response.

That’s one of the reasons I prefer SSBHV over SSBMV. If I was training in the evening maybe I’d go for mid volume but I struggle to motivate myself to do vo2 intervals early in the morning.

I dread Vo2 intervals SOOOO much. But they make me faster… and - like all things - they get easier the more I do them. They are a necessary evil.

But if given the choice, I’d still do 20 or 30 minute repeats in SS… LOL!

None of it is easy but I’m the same way. Much easier time with VO2 stuff.

I would like to see TR add a 3rd phase of Base which would be what we see in Base2 now. I think it’s far too aggressive for most people and personally introduces too much intensity too early in the season for me.

1 Like

I’m not sure that it should be classified as too much or too little, but rather the timing may not be best depending on ones season and goals.

You may have overassessed your last ramp test. A few % makes a big difference at 94-100% FTP compared to what it does for the “introductory” VO2 in SSB2. Adjust intensity/FTP to something you can sustain.

A lot of folks suffer extra-hard to “ace” a ramp test, but all they’re doing is raising the bar of suffering for the rest of the training block.

It’s okay to have short term goals and dig extra deep for a short period of time, but it’s probably not something most people can do all season.

1 Like

Sure. Having just read Joe Friel’s blog posts on the base phase I have personally come to the conclusion after 3 years of following TR approach that it’s too aggressive and I’m doing too much intensity too early in the season. My options are to either start later or start slower. This season I’m doing a custom approach by adding in 6 weeks of Base 0, if you will. Where intensity is limited to just 2 days per week of Sweet Spot and Z2 the remainder of the week. Zero VO2 work and just barely touching on Threshold with some over unders. N = 1.

I am trying the approach recommended by Joe Friel. This is based off the fact that road/gravel season in Minnesota doesn’t start in earnest until May or June and my goal event is Cyclocross—time is on my side. If I were doing early season crits then I would follow the Base 1 & 2 as is, or maybe end my previous season earlier and start my new season in early December.

That said, I don’t find Sweet Spot to be “hard”. It’s more like “hardish”. VO2max is HARD!

1 Like

These types of posts surface a lot and I think we gotta realize a couple things:

• “What part of this is base training, it’s too hard” - Base training (especially Sweet Spot variant) is NOT supposed to be easy.
  • “VO2 workouts are easier than sweet spot” or vice versa - Genetics or past training. Some people will do better in VO2 type workouts, some in sweetspot / threshold and some more in shorter sprints. This is why there’s different kinds of riders with different strengths. You CAN train yourself to be more balanced but most of us will not have the on paper perfect balance that % of FTP calculations suggest.
1 Like

THIS. If you give yourself enough time you could build a more robust base. I think 18 weeks would be awesome. I always thought the next season started in December or January of the new year, at least that’s how many coaches quantify it given they seem to be basing it off the North American road season.

Heck yes. I wonder how long it takes the first time user to figure this out. It’s taken me 2 seasons of structured training to get an idea. I do appreciate TR’s stance on starting with Low Volume and then re-assessing. I think this is a solid approach within the constraints of the current TR Base plan(s).

Still would love to see Chad add a Base 3

1 Like

Yes, I’m the same actually.

1 Like

The Traditional Base plan is always an option for those wanting a gentle start to the season… just sayin.

I’ve done my learning doing running plans for a number of years, and the entry into a program is not something that’s one-size-fits-all, since we all come from different places. Some programs have an entry sequence, so-to-speak, that’s low-volume, low-intensity, to get you going if starting from a lower fitness level; this is a lot more important in running than cycling, as you need to stimulate and develop the articulations in preparation for the volume coming ahead. This said, I’ve only done TR low volume plans so far, and I think SSBLV1 is a pretty good entry door. LV2 cranks things up significantly, and some riders may benefit from stretching Base 1 and/or the beginning of Base 2.

Yup…just finished TB3MV last week. Ramp test today and starting SSB2MV this week. Even though my numbers dropped based on today’s test, I’m not worried about it. I actually feel pretty fit and ready to dig into it (and I have a history of not testing well, anyway…).