Support for more activity types

I currently use TrainingPeaks to keep track of the activities I have done and plan any upcoming activities. I would like to move this into TrainingRoad instead because of the great integration with the training plans and the better user interface. What is stopping me is the missing support for some other major endurance sports like XC Skiing.

Would it be possible to allow XC Skiing as an activity type in TrainerRoad and allow syncing of these activities with Strava?

2 Likes

I would love to see support for this, and also support for rowing/canoeing.

4 Likes

This is a huge blind spot for TR IMO. I know they are waiting on some better ways to analyze the data but even a simple data import and maybe an RPE TSS estimation would be ‘good enough’.

AFAIK you still can’t sync runs, swims or lifts either.

6 Likes

I am fairly certain we have an existing request for this, but am having trouble finding it right now. Maybe @IvyAudrain has it handy?

Related request, and one of the most popular that I expect will take top priority over other non-cycling ones:

Making sure we cover all the bases, this is actually possible right now: (Other Activity, Other setting)

You can enter and Estimated and Actual Intensity, which along with the duration, gives you an estimated TSS that gets included with the TR data.

True but I was referring more to the syncing of activities automatically from Strava or Garmin. So that runs would essentially function much like rides with no power data. Where it syncs then you are able to add TSS to it. So that you don’t have to manually add it. It’s minor but, if you forget, having the activity already there with a little ‘Estimate TSS’ badge like the rides do would be very helpful to a lot of people.

Actually showing a proper icon for the activity (skiing, rowing etc) and list it with the proper name also makes sense. Now you have to write that in the activity title.

Just a thought… TR grabs my workouts automatically from my Garmin uploads. Even my unscheduled outdoor rides, like last night hitting the local MTB trails. That is awesome.

It would be nice if it also grabbed my cross-training workouts. Rowing, Stairclimbing, Running. I know these probably shouldn’t inform the Adaptive logic (or maybe eventually the TRIMP/Stress could be taken into account). But even if those don’t do anything in terms of adjusting the TR plan, it would be nice to see those efforts on the Calendar. Just as headlights into the training done during the week… Maybe even shaded with a different color to indicate these are just informational blocks, not influencing TR.

3 Likes

I merged your request with the related one from the day before.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat - literally. I race kayaks and bike racing is actually a secondary activity for me currently. I’m actually setting up a second TR account to use with my new power meter paddle because traditional kayak workouts are exceedingly boring (like old school cycling workouts). I’ve been doing TR 40K TT workouts for kayak training since 2020 using HR and a programmed timer app. The variety of workouts TR offers helps to keep me motivated. Now I can actually run them on a mini tablet on the water with my power meter paddle. The problem is when it comes to fatigue analysis there’s no way my 2 separate plans can communicate with each other to estimate my fatigue and make plan adjustment so I’m left to doing it on my own by feel unless I hire a personal coach.

1 Like

What do you use as an paddle power meter?

I am in the same boat, having paddling as primary sports and doing cycling during the winter months with TR. Learned a lot about workout structuring from TR and am applying it to paddling.

One Giant Leap is the only paddle power meter shaft available AFAIK. It’s expensive but so were bike power meters when there was no competition. I’m hoping to get it assembled this week. Trying to dial in the length I want with my current wing paddle before I cut the OGL shaft for assembly because the OGL shaft only has 5cm of adjustment. One of the folks at OGL checked out their paddle with TR and it communicates just fine, which was a big relief - more on that below.
I think it will be a long time before paddle power meters are common! I also use a KayakPro ergometer for indoor training and it measures power unfortunately it cannot communicate with TR. The developer (Grayson Bourne) doesn’t see any benefit in getting it to communicate with anything except the POS training app known as Kinomap and GymTrakr (even bigger POS). These guys think watching a video of paddling on flat water is somehow motivating - even paying $90 a year to do it! I much prefer to watch something on the TV and just use whatever app for the workout / metrics like I do with TR. There is a possible hope on the horizon - an app called RowedBiker is meant to bridge rowing ergometers with cycle training apps (like Zwift or TR). The only problem is the current programming will not communicate with the KayakPro Bluetooth adapter. The developer of RowedBiker is thinking about adding the code to fix that with the next update however. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
Training with power on the ergometer has absolutely changed my paddle fitness from stagnation. Thinking adding power for on the water workouts (at least half of my training) will only make things better.

1 Like

Thanks, intriguing!