Strength Training Motivation

I’m really struggling with motivation for doing strength training. I have experienced the benefits to my riding, but it’s just so hard to want to do those sessions. Anyone else in the same boat? Any tips for making it more enjoyable? FYI, I’m limited to body weight exercises as a gym membership or cost of a home gym isn’t an option.

Routine beats motivation. That’s about all I think is relevant in the long run.

Or watch Buff Dudes on YouTube, they make me chuckle.:grin:

The Iron and the Soul by Henry Rollins

It took me years to fully appreciate the value of the lessons I have learned from the Iron. I used to think that it was my adversary, that I was trying to lift that which does not want to be lifted. I was wrong. When the Iron doesn’t want to come off the mat, it’s the kindest thing it can do for you. If it flew up and went through the ceiling, it wouldn’t teach you anything. That’s the way the Iron talks to you. It tells you that the material you work with is that which you will come to resemble.

I’ve found routine really helps too, I used to go the gym 3-5 times a week, but that has been canned since COVID and I struggled to get myself to do it on my own for a few months.
About 3 months ago I discovered a no-fuss, free, easy to consume set of vids on YouTube (Madfit) which mostly focus on core and using resistance bands.
I do these first thing in the morning almost every morning unless I need to get my TR workout in then due to scheduling conflicts.
Another big thing I’ve done is to change my mindset from ‘if I can’t get a full routine in it’s not worth it’ to and ‘if I get in 10 mins, great, 30min awesome, and if I’m lucky up to 60 min’.
Even doing body weight / bands over the past few months I’ve noticed a huge difference on the bike. I get a lot less residual pain after workouts and feel I have much better posture. I am saving up for some actual weights which I hope to incorporate in the new year.
Good luck!

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure where I read it, but some author said that he was more successful in starting a workout if he got dressed for it (maybe it was Getting Things Done).

It’s something I’ve been trying to put into practice myself. If I’m feeling unmotivated but still have the nagging feeling of “I should do this”, I’ll get dressed for it first, and that definitely includes cycling.

I’m in the same boat. Always hated strength training. A couple of things I’ve found helpful;

• keep your expectations pretty low. You don’t need to be there for an hour 5 days a week, particularly if you don’t enjoy it or have any additional goals beyond improving your cycling. Figure out what you really need to do, keep it specific, and keep it short.

• this one could be difficult right now, but finding a buddy who’s really into lifting makes things a lot more fun, particularly if they hate cardio and you can laugh at each other. Might even be worth reaching out online for some advice and accountability- those guys are usually as passionate about lifting as we are about cycling.

• set it as a workout on your TR calendar, check it off on a physical plan, whatever. Nobody likes missed sessions just sitting there.

• this is probably a preference thing, but I personally find I’m most consistent if I do my strength work right after a ride. In any case, find a time that works for you and deliberately set it aside.

1 Like

I have requested that as a feature-request in plan builder - just put the Strength workout.

I am on the opposite side right now - I get to where I am enjoying the strength training. I hate the rollers right now. Not with the same intensity of 1 week ago - never mind a month ago.

as others said - can you find someone to train with?

I use the Strong app (free version, not pro). Contains lots of different exercises (bodyweight ones included), allows you to set up a workout routine, use it to log the workout including completed reps as you do them, and then report back on history, PRs, etc. Having a plan, having the ability to track progress, and making it easy to add variety to my strength workouts all helps with motivation in much the same way that the TR app helps with the motivation to do structured training.

And fully agree with the above statement that half the battle is just getting into the habit of doing it. Even if it’s just doing 10-15 minutes a few times a week it makes quite a big difference over time.