Strength Training, KOM Training Guide, Training Fatigue and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 341

Is it possible to time your strength training in such a way that it doesn’t affect your cycling training? Coach Chad dives deep into interference-effect and if it is worthy of concern, as well as a guide to training plans for KOMs of different durations, how training fatigue and freshness can mask adaptations and much more in Episode 341 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast!

Tune in Thursday morning at 8:00am Pacific!

Youtube Live Video:

Strength Training, KOM Training Guide, Training Fatigue and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 341

Topics Covered in This Episode

• 0:00 Intro
  • 2:56 How to stop failing workouts
  • 10:07 XTERRA World Championships
  • 15:50 Deep dive on timing strength training and cycling
  • 56:54 Rapid Fire questions
  • 1:13:55 TrainerRoad’s Polarized Training Plans
  • 1:18:03 Guide to KOMs of different durations
  • 1:25:25 Can you treat knee injuries while training?
  • 1:36:42 How fatigue and freshness can mask adaptations

RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE

TrainerRoad Podcast Network

Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

Submit a topic to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

5 Likes

@Jonathan Hope you have a good trip to Maui. Sunday is looking horrendous, just saw that Maui county posted that they expect Sunday to be the worst of the storm with lots of possible flash flooding and landslides😳

On the question of ‘how long can you go on just drink mix?’
I did a full IronMan, and other than a gel after the swim and 3 bites of a bar at the start of the ride, I got to T2 exclusively on drink mix. I had a hydration system on the front of the bike, and 2 bottles on my seatpost, which were exclusively high-concentration TailWind. My downtube bottle had plain water. At the 90km special needs bag, I replaced both tailwind bottles and refilled the hydration system, and then started taking water from aid stations to supplement.

So, to answer the question, “at least 5 hours or 180km.”

Can I just jump in to say how delightful it was to listen to such a warm, friendly and sometimes mischievous conversation. You three obviously get along well and spark off each other.

3 Likes

Agreed!

Anyone catch who was @IvyAudrain’s celebrity crush @ 1:00? I couldn’t make it out with the laughter.

Johnny Depp, was/is/will be. :rofl:

2 Likes