Strava leaderboards no longer free

This is SPOT ON. Haha!!

Yeah, even for summit. Been on that since the beginning.

I donā€™t know Garmin connect but what you describe is basically my experience. Like the Polar flow ecosystem which keeps things under extreme lock and key (which is a real shame since that is probably the best activity app iā€™ve used beyond apple health)

If I upload the file directly to strava it doesnā€™t forward either. It forwards any data from my apple watch or iphone so long as it was made with the Strava app.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things this is a minor ā€œnuisanceā€ in that I could always just upload the data to apple health with the healthfit app. That works perfect and fine.

But since I used Strava primarily to sync such data, that use case is out. And since I ride mostly indoors and non competitivelyā€¦I have very limited use for strava at this point.

1 Like

Really donā€™t know the Garmin ecosystem so I canā€™t comment on that sorry.

But if everyone here could go and help request for a direct apple health feature for TR, Iā€™d be super happy

Edit: The request I made is here

TR will sync direct to TP

Yupā€¦thinking of spending my Strava money on that tbh.

1 Like

Iā€™m speculating that Strava lost a chunk of funding and had to urgently look at how to fund their most expensive feature(s). Hence why theyā€™ve given zero notice to devs about the API changes. I canā€™t think of any other reason why theyā€™d give their API consumers zero notice.
Iā€™ve become more ambivalent towards Strava over the past few years, but would definitely not want to see them go out of business.

2 Likes

yes, Strava segments are fun and I do like seeing epic weekend rides posted by friends. Hard to imagine a world without Strava.

speaking of which just saw this:

3 Likes

MSN Messenger.
Polaroid.
Toys R Us.
Blockbuster.
RCA.
Etc.

I rode my bike pre-strava and Iā€™ll ride it post-strava. Life goes on.

11 Likes

Althoughā€¦

MSN Messenger ā†’ we have other types of messanger like fb and google.
Polaroid ā†’ we have our cellphones
Toys R Us ā†’ Amazon
Blockbuster ā†’ Netflix

Maybe in the future:
Strava ā†’ TR

2 Likes

Hard to imagine because if Strava disappeared tomorrow it would be missed. Nothing to replace it at the present, at least in my corner of the world.

4 Likes

Some other company will replace it.
For free? Probably notā€¦

1 Like

sure but like I said if Strava went ā€œpoofā€ and disappeared tomorrow I would miss it. Just saying it is hard to imagine not being inspired everyday by seeing friends doing bad-ass feats of athleticism :muscle: :biking_man: :swimming_man: :running_man: :mountain: :muscle:

4 Likes

Not really. Strava only made us think we needed strava. We donā€™t. Iā€™m not sure any serious athlete relies on strava for much of anything. As otherā€™s have said, itā€™s a social platform disguised as a performance tool.

5 Likes

^ see above, Iā€™ll just agree to disagree. ā€œWeā€ donā€™t think Strava is necessary, its not oxygen or food or shelter, ā€œIā€ simply enjoy seeing so many people doing feats of athleticism on roads Iā€™ve traveled and want to travel.

My Strava feed is filled with daily inspiration, so refreshing and why I stay away from most social platforms.

Like last nightā€¦ heading back into town I missed out on an epic ride with people I enjoy including a bad ass lady thats been going to Kona for 20 yearsā€¦ 26mph at 231W that would have been a fun ride back from the river (the local young stud was pulling at 360W)

ride on my forum friends! :biking_man:

11 Likes

I guess since Iā€™m fairly anti social Iā€™m in the definitely wouldnā€™t miss Strava camp. I pretty much would rather jump in front of a bus than go on a group ride lol.

1 Like

A note from the Strava founders.
For what itā€™s worth Iā€™ll keep subscribing.

3 Likes

What existential nonsense is this? of course weā€™d miss it. Itā€™s something many of us have used and enjoyed for years.

4 Likes

Strava is something most of us use every time we run or ride. I can justify that subscription a lot easier than many others I pay for.

5 Likes

I donā€™t zwift anymore but I could see them tweaking the ā€œcompanionā€ app or create a clone of it in some way with more social like features and steal some strava users.

1 Like

The Z companion app already has a lot of similar social functionality. ā€œRide onsā€, comments, virtual photos, PRs and achievements, race results, etc.

1 Like