Stephen Seiler (StephenSeiler) - his results

@rdt , @alexkharrod

You asked a few questions about my coached POL TID training. If you head over to the Polarized Training vs. Sweet Spot (Dylan Johnson video) thread I posted the session distribution for a random 4 weeks. It shows it in a pictorial form, may or may not be of some interest.

Feel like if sits there better, didn’t what to side track this Seiler - his results thread.

2 Likes

Yeah but @old_but_not_dead_yet probably has some long-winded theory about why your personal experience is wrong.

Oh, probably, but his opinions don’t pay my rent, so… :man_shrugging:t2:

That’s fascinating about the correlation between HRV DFA value and LT1. I’ve just got a standard license key for Kubios.

I’ll do a session on turbo tomorrow at HRs I think are below LT1 up to and through where I think it is. Capture the HRV results and feed into Kubios to see what DFA values pop out.

1 Like

Fortunately they pay mine.

3 Likes

There is an index or score that Seiler has been using wrt his durability idea.

Does anyone have a reference to the calculation? I’ve seen two videos where he mentions it but I can’t reverse engineer it.

It’s something like:

% HRR / % 6 min power

and/or

% HRR / %FTP

Those obviously are not the same thing, but I’ve seen tables where he labels the index that way. Neither are correct because they don’t give me a number close to 1 (when I plug some realistic numbers in). I’m missing something.

@Brennus
Right, that one (I’ll re-listen because I’m definitely missing something).

Here are some numbers:

MAP - 400w, so 6MMP might be 370-380? (happy to change that number but doesn’t make a difference, suffice it to say 6MMP is definitely lower than MAP)

HRR - 132bpm (180 - 48)
6MMP - 375w (see above)

Let’s say I’m riding along at 115bpm, easy/comfortable Z2 pace.

115/132 = 87% <— the “%HRR” part
x / 375 = 87%. <— the %6MMP part

x = 326W

326W is not my Z2 comfortable 115bpm pace. It’s no one’s. LOL

Need to compare like-to-like. 115 bpm would be only (115 - 48)/132 = 51% of HRR.

In theory, that would correspond to a power of 375 x 0.51 = 191 watts.

Seems reasonable. In fact, those are about my numbers back when I was racing and wore a HR monitor regularly - when JRA on a flat road, my power would be about 200 watts and my HR about 120 bpm.

2 Likes

That’s what I needed. Was doing that calculation incorrectly. Thank you.

191W (generally) is what I ride at 115bpm (give or take, of course).

You’re welcome. However, before anyone goes too far down this rabbit hole, it’s worth emphasizing that the relationship between %HRR and %VO2max isn’t perfectly 1:1, and can vary between individuals. IOW, don’t lose sight of the ‘~’ in Seiler’s slide.

1 Like

old/dead has got it for you!

@tshortt I would say also that steady state max 6min power is generally materially less than 6min power from, say, a ramp test. So that can make the numbers different…but don’t make me advocate for one over the other! I don’t know enough to answer.

1 Like

Understood, I just don’t actually know my 6MMP (and am not about to do that for sake of watching a video LOL), so was trying to get a reasonable approximation due to my numbers being wildly wrong. FWIW, I don’t get my MAP from TR ramp test. I use Ric’s protocol for male riders. Your point still applies though, I think.

@old_but_not_dead_yet Noted, and thanks again. Seems like the way Seiler is using it (as score/index within a single ride) means that %HRR not being exactly 1:1 as %VO2max is ok? IOW, he’s just watching it trend upward, and it’s the trend that is important (in this case), even if it’s not accurate. No?

I don’t know how he’s using it, but yeah, if after a period of training you can generally ride at a higher % of HRR, you’re probably riding at a higher % of VO2max.

That’s assuming, though, that the environmental conditions or your adaptation to them haven’t changed. For example, when it turns hot your HR will be higher at the same % of VO2max, but will come down as you get used to it.

1 Like

So the 1:1 relationship is better with % VO2max. And Selier is using 6MMP as proxy for MAP / power at VO2max from what I recall.

I’m not familiar with estimating V’O2R from power data.

I have a recent 8-min max effort and plucked the 6MMP off that, added a few watts, and Seiler’s rough estimate is consistent with my data.

It seems the value of %HRR/%6MMP is when comparing a group of athletes? Normalizing results and not requiring lab equipment for VO2max.

I really don’t know what the value is. Seems more like trying to translate power into a language - % of VO2max - more familiar to ex fizz types than anything else. If you’re a native speaker, though, who cares?

Can’t recall but thought this was done as a prerequisite prior to setting up his Internet community participation studies. As someone with a ‘normal’ resting heart rate (lower 60s), the value of that video was getting a buddy to shut up and stop telling me my long easy rides should have a 99bpm HR like Seiler :joy:

Interesting 1996 snapshot of Seiler’s view of programming endurance and interval training:

6 Likes

Thanks for that, and some useful thoughts on the length and intensity of intervals for endurance athletes. Plus the bread and butter long easy ride.