SRAM Buys Time Pedals Business

The rumor is that they will sell Shimano SPD-SL pedal spindles, that people then disassemble their Shimano pedals and move the body over to the Assioma spindles.

There are pictures of spindles that look like Shimano spindles.

3 Likes

3 Likes

6 Likes

Meanwhile, Wahoo seems content to let Speedplay fade away to slow death. :frowning:

3 Likes

Yeah, that whole thing is beyond odd to me. I never liked them, but there are plenty of people who really do. And Wahoo seems content to have done a purchase and just slowly decommission SP silently with dropping production and availability that used to be common.

i think wahoo got sidetracked by scaleup with their other products. They had limited success early on, but are finding it harder to scale up to garmin sized

1 Like

This…

LOL. Also this.

They were usually fine if you rode with a shoe that had really hard lugs (e.g. Specialized) but they just ate through shoes with soft lugs. (e.g. Shimano)

Also, I once ponied up the extra cash for the carbon body ATACs and had the right-hand pedal explode about 3 hours into a 5 hour ride. Made for a tense loooong technical downhill.

Just to add a little extra value: I did pick up a deeply discounted pair of Time road pedals on clearance a few years back. They seemed fine, but the cleats must’ve been molded from baking chocolate or something, because they lasted about six weeks before they wore out. Replacements were like $30. I guess it was along the lines of the Inkjet Printer business model.

1 Like

I think they used to be, but they’ve declined and shimano has improved at pedals. I think their claim to fame was float and they were very easy to get into and out of which is important for mountain biking. Also relatively easy to adjust and clean. my XTRs seem to have enough float for me, so i don’t think i’ll be going back. Plus it’s SRAM.

2 Likes

This would be cool, some kind of AI to optimise the shifting. Maybe they could dip into Trainerroad ride logs to classify the rider into a particular category (masher v spinner)…

"However, a fully automatic shifting system is not something we have seen. If a new power meter pedal offered the pedalling analysis capabilities we mentioned earlier, combined with the analysis capabilities of the AXS app, this might now be a possibility. Theoretically, an automatic shifting system could understand from a rider’s force on the pedals, position on the bike, road gradient and speed, which gear they’ll need next, perhaps even before the rider knows. "

Narrator: It will never happen.

Seriously…there ware way too many variables in deciding when to shift. It isn’t always about cadence, force, etc. There are times when I want a high cadence and times when I want to grind a bit. The last thing I want is automatic shifting on a performance bike.

1 Like

IIRC the transfer didn’t involve any employees (they’re still at Saris) only tech info. So SRAM would have to poach the employees or start development from the plans/tech/patents/code rather than being able to use employees

2 Likes

Correct, no employees changed sites (per Ray Maker) just IP, products and support related material.

1 Like