Wahoo Acquires Speedplay

3 Likes

Speedplay power pedals then …

3 Likes

I wonder if they will add minimal improvements and just raise the price kind of like they did with the BOLT/ROAM. Everyone I know who used speedplays no longer does and everyone has the same notion that they start off fantastic and have no durability to speak of.

Really? I am riding Speedplay pedals that are ~20 years old and even still have an original pair of the all-alloy pedals from ~92 that are still running just fine.

4 Likes

My issue with Speedplay is the cleat maintenance and replacement requirement, and specifically the catastrophic consequences of not doing it correctly. I rode Speedplays for about 10 years and still have three pedal sets. I particularly liked the Speedplay Zero. Maybe if I change from pedal-based power meters or Wahoo comes up with a Speedplay pedal-based powermeter, I’ll use them again.

2 Likes

That claim of raising prices is not accurate.

• The Bolt is the same $250 USD price since it was introduced over 2 years ago.

• The Roam is a new device and the price is high. It is arguable that is is “worth” that (especially compared to the 530), but it has was never “raised”.

We have plenty of riders who are still Speedplay users and fans. Overall durability seems fine from what I can see. They are certainly better than Cook Bros. garbage.

4 Likes

Maybe the case with older models but apparently the newer stuff requires constant maintenance. Pedals are not something I want to maintain, personally.

1 Like

I meant price increase in the form of adding $130 to the price of the BOLT to create the ROAM and including minimal upgrades

1 Like

I love my Speedplays but they’re sorely lacking in development. The whole cleat system looks like it was done by your dad in the garage. Just way too many pieces and they are total ass to walk in. Their attempts at resolving the walking issue with those plug things is worse again, like your kid brother’s school project.

But I still love them. Once you get your muscle memory up in them they are just amazing for clip in speed.

I’d buy a power meter version of them, but probably not for the price Wahoo will try it on with. Tired of crank or BB based power meters. Just not practical for most modern riders who’ve got different bikes and want a simpler, less spendy, more environmentally friendly life.

4 Likes

I always liked my speedplay X pedals because I have funny knees. I’m only using them on my trainer now though, because the type of riding I do requires a walkable shoe, and SPD pedals work just fine on the road. Don’t think I would buy an X/Zero style power meter.

First my pedal history…

I started on Speedplays and loved them. Switched to Powertap P1 pedals 3 years ago as my first power meter and learned to use more traditional cleats and pedals

New bike this season with a Power2Max on it so I went back to Speedplays this season.

Have to say - the current cleat system is much improved and easy to walk in compared to what I was used to from 3-4 years ago. I’d suggest you look at them again if you’re basing your impression on the cleats they had for years and years prior

1 Like

Yes, the modern walkable cleat with the plastic/rubber outer cover is actually pretty good. Far superior to the old metal outer on the original ones. The new cover is about comparable with the other Shimano and Look style cleats.

Old:

New, walkable:

3 Likes

I have the older style cleats, which are a tad clunky, and I like the looks of the new ones! I presume the new walk-able cleat is backwards compatible?

Does anybody have experience with the Speedplay SYZR pedals (for MTB/gravel)? I am purchasing a dedicated gravel bike and I’m already thinking ahead to what pedal to get. Not sure if the SYZR cleats will be recessed in a Shimano mtb/gravel shoe.

1 Like

Some Possible good news for those Speedplay users that backed IQ2 in fond hopes they could get a “Speedplay based” PM. We’ll see if they decide to bring one to market and how long.

I have no direct knowledge, but according to their site:

Note: Zero Aero Walkable™ Cleats are not compatible with Speedplay Ultra Light Action and X-Series pedals.

2 Likes

Can confirm they are compatible with zero pedals, but as @mcneese.chad noted from their website, they aren’t cross pedal compatible

2 Likes

I used Speedplays when I was younger, before I took a break from cycling.

I loved them, but they were very much fair weather pedals. I remember trying to ride in the Michigan winter with them - not the best experience.

1 Like

Yeah, the regular Speedplay’s are NOT good for any dirt. The clearance is not there with the tight spacing on the cleat clip and the retention groove.

That is why they offered the Frog back in the say, and the newer Syzr model, that are better in the grime.

The current Speedplay design does not leave a lot of room (understatement) for a powermeter sensor and electronics.

The “old” are fine, if a) you don’t have to use them in dirt and ever have to step off the bike, and b) you use the covers they sell to walk with them.

I’ve had 2 pairs of Zeros (one on my road bike, one on the trainer), forever. They work. Love the system and the float.

1 Like