Specialized Venge Vs Tarmac

Looks beautiful. Really love the two tone fade paint.

How do you like the Silca bar tape?

1 Like

You might be able to get the tarmac without disc brakes (if thatā€™s your thing); you should get the venge.

Iā€™m definitely interested in disc brakes (I didnā€™t make that clear in the post above). Iā€™ve been leaning toward the Tarmac since I tend to do long road races, not crits, and the Tarmacā€™s reported benefits / comfort for those events. Truthfully I have not test ridden either bike, yet, and know that I need to. Cost is also a huge factor, and the least expensive Venge (new) is way more expensive than a Tarmac Disc Expert (new). Just curious and trying to learn as much as I can, why do you recommend the Venge over the Tarmac?

I generally equate 1 lb of weight to:

3 watts in mountainous terrain
2 watts in hilly terrain
1 watt in the flats

These are extremely rough numbers, but for me, close enough to provide some perspective.

This puts Specialized in a bit of a pickle because there arenā€™t too many cases where the Venge isnā€™t faster. This would explain why they no longer sell any Venge models under $8K.

If you can buy a venge, I might be alone on this but stiff bikes handle great and you can adjust with tire pressure. I donā€™t see a situation where you would wish you had the tarmac. If cot is a factor, maybe just get a tarmac + better tires or aero whatever.
Out of all the reasons I dislike Nate, him pushing nominal gains make everyone feel like they too should chase the latest & greatestā€¦
In this case, you might be better off with a tarmac + a good fit or good skinsuit or whatever. Weight is a wash (as it will be a non-factor for racing)

1 Like

Iā€™m sure the Venge is a great bike, but I couldnā€™t wrap my head around any benefit over the Tarmac coming close to justifying the price.

I picked up a 2018 Tarmac SL6 Expert with 100mi on it (new bike) for $2500. Same frame as the Pro (Comp is different) full Ultegra. Great bike.

Itā€™s an incredible. It feels fast, but very comfortable and composed. Zero complaints.

Throwing on some 50mm wheels and an Aerofly 2 bar I scored for $150 this week. Sure, Iā€™ll still be ā€œx secondsā€ slower over a 40k TT, but Iā€™ve got an extra $5k in the bank AND a great bike :+1:

7 Likes

I got mine at a lbs. I shopped around for the shop I wanted and the person whom I wanted to give my $$ to and ordered it through them.

I believe they are doing a discount now and a visa gift card for the rebate you get later.

Personally though I went with the comp as it had di2 and disc. The wheels are not up to par vs the pro/sworks models but for a significant difference in price i can always buy wheels later and be way i under the sworks and under the pro by good amount.

3 Likes

I picked up a 2019 Tarmac SL6 w/ Di last fall. I tested the base Tarmac before buying and was sold instantly (coming from an older Cervelo). The new ride is night/day from my old steed and puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

The sad part is that Iā€™ve only been on it maybe a dozen times including one uphill race before the weather hit last fall (lots of rain), and now Covid-19. I didnā€™t bother with the s-works as the only difference at the time was ceramic bearings and CLs vs CLX wheels. I can always upgrade wheels along the way, but the Roval CL50s are solid, in a good way. My LBS also threw in the bike fit on the RetĆ¼l machine which was very helpful. It identified a few little things in my pedaling stroke, etc. and put on some different cleats. Completely dialed in now and looking forward to getting outside more than ever!

4 Likes

The bar tape is actually the Supacaz Super Sticky Kush Galaxy (https://supacaz.com/product/galaxy/).

I absolutely love it. Really grippy both dry and wet. The feel on your hands is lovely and cosmetically it looks great to. Also have it on my trainer bike which lives in the garage just because it feels so good, especially when sweating heaps, Iā€™m not worried about my hands slipping.

Highly recommend it if you are looking for some new bar tape.

2 Likes

That is my favorite bar tape too.

2 Likes

Thanks. I just ordered one.

Started using that after podcast recommendationā€¦ what a difference.

Itā€™s actually quite amazing how much of a difference such a simple thing like bar tape can make to the feel and enjoyment of your riding. The same goes for MTB and my personal favourite, ESI grips. I see now that they also make road bar tape so might give that a go on the trainer bike next to see how it compares.

Thanks. Great info. Looks ideal for a gravel bike build.

I am waiting for the roval 64ā€™s to go in sale. Non tubular version.

If being turned on by that bike is wrong I dont wanna be right

Esi extra chunky on the mtb have SAVED my hands. Little bit of nerve damage from working as a mechanic means every way I can spread the weight out is a godsend. Coming from someone who doesnt like thick bar tape on the road even

1 Like

Might be awhile before that happens.

I got the CLX64 SCS Disc Rear (oddball 12x135mm thru axle disc) for a steal because itā€™s on clearance.

But their standard CLX64 Disc Front is sold out. I managed to find one at an LBS and paid full price.

If so all good. I can wait for sure. Stock wheels on my comp are decent.

Whatever you do donā€™t get the Rovalsā€¦ I owned the CL64s and coming from ENVEs they are the flimsiest (laterally flexy) stiffest ( vertically non compliant) feeling wheel. Anytime I got out of my saddle I had major brake rub because the wheel would flex so much, yet at the same time they were so stiff and non compliant. For the same price the Bontrager Aeolus are much better performing wheels. Granted Iā€™m relatively heavy at 210 but stillā€¦ ENVEs never gave me those issues.