🚨🚨Specialized issues recall / Stop Ride notice on Tarmac SL7 🚨🚨

I’m based in South Wales and neither dealer I spoke to had the parts. I was asked to provide photos of the frame number so that they could instigate the process with spesh. Hope this takes days not weeks but not holding my breath.

1 Like

Yep, I fear it will be the latter. Global warranty is good, but useless if nowhere has the parts!

2 Likes

Yep dropped mine in this morning, taken the opportunity to replace worn headset bearings at the same time and will have it back this afternoon in time for 90 mins of Threshold pain. The shop showed me the parts, they were very organised. Good luck getting yours sorted.

Great stuff :+1:t2: Do you mind sharing the dealer? Just on the extremely small off chance they are local to me :joy:

The Roubaix was recalled for what I think was an unforced error in their design of the Future Shock. The dealer was very concerned that I not ride it before it could be fixed, and were disgusted for the reason for the failures. Are things getting too complex for the attention to detail that they seem to provide?

For the Roubaix recall on the Future Shock, my dealer was still concerned that it could fail, even on the trainer. Since this recall mentions ‘rough surfaces’, I’d think it would be fine on a trainer (maybe not with a Climb?), but ask your dealer and weigh what they might be able to say. Ride safe…

Maybe Specialized has learned from past recalls. The Roubaix recall happened, and I waited months for parts. They only got one or two in, and were waiting for more, and yet now they say they have a box full of them, and even gave me one repair kit ‘just in case’ with a laugh. I can’t remember how long I had to wait for the parts, but it was over a month. They told me to not ride it ‘at all’, even on a trainer, and it was my only bike (N+1 played a role in getting a ‘backup bike’). Being told not to ride it, even drop it off to their shop to wait for parts kinda sucked, for sure.

Glad they have parts ready available. Happy days!

No problem - www.pedalheaven.co.uk

HAH! My Roubaix recall was expensive.

New tires, tubes, pedals, and a new saddle. It makes me wonder… Nah… Can’t be…

I was always somewhat surprised at the number of ‘expensive bikes’ that would show up on group rides. But it is true that most riders have much less expensive rides. In my group, they were probably in the $1,000 to $2,500 range when new. We had a number of people that flaunted ‘classic bikes’, which was so awesome.

I kept hearing about a ‘local lawyer’ that had a top dollar S-Works Dura Ace Di2 that hung on his office wall, never ridden.

1 Like

There is a “infamous” example of this from back in the earlier ST days….guy bought a Shiv TT bike (nosecone version) and had it custom painted in the old Martini Racing colors. Massive amount of taping, sanding, etc. It took months to complete……and he never rode it. ( or maybe he rode it once, I don’t remember)

1 Like

If I had an SL7 I’d rather be told as soon as they knew there was a problem, than be left to ride around on a bike with a potentially fatal design flaw whilst they wait until they have the parts to fix it.

Quite a risk on their part but you know, the legal department at Specialized have a habit of making the company look like d*cks.

The original part was so badly designed that it had already been a redesign and later bikes were being shipped with the updated part. At that point there should have been a recall as it wasn’t fit for purpose.

Not so sure that the new collar is that much better and who knows what’s going on with the extended plug. That looks poorly thought out. I don’t think it’ll be long before manufacturers start looking at bonded in internal sleeves to give the steerer more support.

Mike

Yeah, I don’t disagree with this in the slightest. Despite my statements above, I am not saying Specialized did the “right” thing here, just that I understand why they handled it as they did.

My post wasn’t specifically related to any of your comments above, rather, it was in response to the notion that it’s better this time round because they already have the parts even although they knew about the issue months ago.

Maybe I should have quoted some text…

Mike

All good…I didn’t take it as directed towards me specifically. You raised a valid point and I just wanted to use it to clarify my position.