So you're cramping, now what?

I just had some of the worst double leg and calf cramps of my life while laying on the couch after a ride.

What do you do during a cramp? I eventually got up and hobbled to the fridge and chugged some pickle juice.

Do you move even though it feels like you’re getting stabbed? Do you punch the muscle that’s cramping up? Do you just sit and cry? What works for you?

2 Likes

Oh man. Last week had a left leg cramp that hit multiple muscles in my left leg in the middle of the night. I couldn’t get out of bed and more movement seemed to cause more cramping. I just sat there and tried to take deep breaths and massage the muscles until the cramping passed. Felt like 30 minutes.

I thought I was well hydrated post ride. Sometimes it just seems to happen for no reason.

3 Likes

I like to think of myself as a “tough guy” (used to be a bodyguard and bouncer) but darn, these had me whimpering on the couch, reaching for my phone to talk to my partner just to get through it. Alone in the apartment I had more than one “so this is how it ends” moment. LOL

We all cramp, one of us must have a secret remedy or old wives tale that works during a cramp!

2 Likes

Stretch!
If you can’t stretch the affected muscles eg because opposing muscles are cramping at the same time, grab it or massage it until it releases.
It can be unbelievably painful and I have been left sore for up to a week later from a really bad episode.
Have even fallen off my bike from full leg cramps affecting both legs (hamstrings and quads) during a race. Couldn’t pedal, couldn’t get off the bike so landed in a ditch and some motorists stopped to help me, lol

4 Likes

Precision hydration was life changing for me. Not cramped since they tested me and started using their product

The concentration of sodium in my sweat was at the very high end of the scale

The podcast has also touched on it a few times. Had the precision hydration ceo on once or twice.

4 Likes

Sit, cry, and remind myself to work within myself and build to big efforts rather than shocking my body into cramping with extraordinary efforts. :+1:

1 Like

Jump up, cry a bit, massage/poke my hamstring area until it’s gone. Repeat as required.

2 Likes

What about electrolytes (magnesium/potassium especially)? A lot of times people will actually over do it with post workout hydration which floods the system and flushes electrolytes. The key is to slowly and steadily rehydrate as well as make sure you also take in electrolytes. As mentioned by others, PH and Skratch are fantastic products. They are expensive though so I usually go with SIS.

If this helped then I would log your post-exercise hydration habits and consider if the above applies to you. That being said some are just more prone to cramping. I used to be the same way (middle of the night, typically right calf). Damn painful and always out of nowhere. It’s been a long time since it’s happened though and the only potential cause I can identify is dietary changes (more healthy fats, less refined sugars, more salts and other electrolytes).

I usually hydrate using Nuun (if I want something low sugar) or Skratch Labs. I’ll take another look if I need more electrolytes post ride.

Craigrit, can you explain how sodium in sweat affects cramping? Having cramping problems now and looking for insight, thanks!

Suggest you spend some time on this site - https://www.precisionhydration.com/science-of-hydration/

The science is not exact but as per my original post, was life changing for me. Have not cramped since using the PH supplement

1 Like

I’m leery of trusting “science” that comes from a brand who has an interest in selling me something, but I will check it out. Thanks

Like TR? :smiley:

2 Likes

I use to cramp a lot too, until I started taking Liquid IV. Use the hydration multiplier regularly even on non-ride days and energy multiplier on ride days. Liquid IV | Liquid I.V.™’s Healthy Hydration - Fueling Life’s Adventures – Liquid I.V. (liquid-iv.com)
Give them a try. If you have Costco membership you can get them cheaper and they go on sale regularly.

Is the ride you are cramping on slightly above your pay grade? My experience is cramping is fitness related more than something to be avoided with sodium and electrolytes.

I seem to be getting cramps or almost cramps in my legs at random times of the day when doing a little stretch, or even just sitting down at my desk working.

By “almost cramp” I mean that I get an "oh $hit moment where I can feel one about to happen and then it doesnt. Has been happening a couple times a week in quads, hams, and calves

Have been doing 2 big-ish mtb outdoor rides plus 1 or 2 TR rides per week and using gatorade powder and nuun tabs to help with electrolytes/hydration.

Last Sunday I did a particularly hilly ride (4000m climb including some 20% +) and started getting electric shock-type cramp in both quads near the end. I recognised the signs (always happens on this ride!) so geared down for the last 20 miles.

Later that evening I started getting the crippling cramps where you can see the quads contracting and twitching and can’t straighten the legs. Again familiar! But this time I had a secret weapon - a massage gun! Spent 20 minutes on the quads on each leg and that cured it. I actually put the gun on my bedside table and had to use it once in the night for a couple of minutes, but other than that a painless night.

This is a game-changer for me. For years I’ve had these cramps after excessively long or hilly rides. I’m religious about hydration and have used salt tablets for years to no effect. Sunday was a demonstration to me that that particular form of cramp is damage to the muscle - pure and simple. Nothing to do with hydration, mineral loss, etc. The legs have been damaged and are screaming out for you to stop doing what you’re doing!

Massage gun - my saviour (but not much use when you’re on the bike :grin:)

1 Like

In that case maybe I could give some foam rolling a shot, thanks for your story

Stretch the muscle as quickly as I can, maybe scream a bit. Maybe weep quietly to myself.