Short commute - class as training?

My commute to work is only 5.6 miles, downhill there, uphill back. Straight road and lots of traffic lights.

I use Training Peaks, is it worth adding the TSS for the rides to my daily totals? It works out out about 40TSS per day.

Will this skew my CTL or should it be added?

It’s still riding so should be included in your TSS. The more important question is how you use that time commuting to contribute to your goals

1 Like

They answered a very similar question to this on the latest podcast.

Pete talked about his experience commuting to the office when he lived in Denver.

2 Likes

Cheers. I’m training for long course tri but it is nearly impossible to ride easy home due to traffic congestion and trying to stay out of trouble on one of the busiest roads in Manchester UK.
Riding easy in is achievable.

The short bursts over FTP home don’t help but are needed.

I commute nearly every day from April – October and do a lot of “training” on those commutes. The shortest route is about 5 miles, but I have found ways to extend that to 15-20 or (45-75 min) depending on how much time I have and what I want to accomplish that day.

Commuting can be a super valuable and efficient way to train if you do it right. Stoplights aren’t helping. Definitely factor in your TSS.

I commute 7 miles round trip and get 15 TSS on a day if I’m lucky. How hard are you hammering? haha.

Also, Pete, why in the hell were you on a bike on Broadway in Denver? hah. Death wish.

I was wondering the same about intensity.

I ride 22 miles round trip, admittedly very easy, and get 60 TSS total for the day.

If you’re doing this 5 days a week it’s 300 TSS for the week :leafy_green:

Eat your vegetables.

1 Like

In answer to the question on how hard - too hard on the way home. It needs to be that way though for safety as there is no bike lane.