Shimano disc brake pads: recommendations

I didn’t think about types of pads between the two, but I’m sure it is contamination. I just don’t know how each time I replace them they keep getting contaminated.

Have you considered the organic Swisstop Disc 34RS? Just bought a set for my DA callipers, reviews look great for mixed conditions and rotor wear. Yet to test them out but will report back once fitted and bedded in

2 Likes

Interested to see how these work.

Last year, I did, but it took my old bike shops too long to have them delivered. How do they feel compared to Shimano’s brake pads?

By the way, it seems I have solved the riddle: the L03As are really an update to the L02As. On the box there is a big (virtual) sticker, informing me that they are using a new resin that has “+40 % wear-resistance”. I thought I’d add, perhaps it’ll be useful to someone in the future.

PS I don’t know yet whether they actually are any better, but at least that solves my mystery.

2 Likes

So I’ve bedded in the Swisstop Disc 34RS pads and they’re awesome! No noise at all and the stopping power is immense. I’ve done a couple of rides in the mountains with them and they have a great feel, I’m very impressed.

Saying this I did think that the Shimano pads were very good too and didn’t really have any issues with them although they did squeal a lot. Haven’t had that yet with the Swisstop but time and weather will tell!

1 Like

One possible explanation is that your road bike calipers are not perfectly aligned. A knock getting a wheel in and out of the frame can throw off alignment, it may have been knocked out of alignment in shipping from the factory and not properly checked by your LBS when assembled, or taken a knock from falling over being bumped somewhere. On my wife’s older MTB with cheaper mechanical brakes, I’ll have them perfectly lined up when adjusting them, but if I torque one bolt too much while the other is loose, the caliper will tend to rotate a bit with the bolt. If it is off center just a touch, the brakes won’t drag, but will contact the rotor with opposite corners of the pads, wear faster and be more prone to heating and rapid wear.

1 Like

How has the Swisstop Disc 34RS pads held up during the wet? :smiley: Looking to solve some squeal from my Shimano… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stopping power is great in the wet. Still haven’t found a pad that doesn’t go squeally in those conditions yet!

2 Likes

Sweet, my pads now sound like I am strangling a pig when braking the wet, nice way to get some attention in a group ride… So would want to try some other pads to at least minimise it…

2 Likes