Shifting while using ERG Mode for the Ramp Test

agree to disagree, protocol is to maintain power as long as possible, shift and getting the cadence back up over 1 pedal stroke isn’t detrimental to the test, and is fundamentally different in erg mode and resistance mode… this “hack” is basically just making them more similar.

This is incorrect. Thats the expectation of the test. Protocol is what you NEED to do to get the results.

The protocol calls (on ERG) for the app to increase the resistance, while you try to hang on.
It tell you NOT shifting and NOT standing since it can change the output…

If I did do this on my last ramp test it probably would have got me 10 extra deserved watts. My kid came in and asked me a question right when I probably had 40s to 1 minute left, distracted me enough my cadence dropped by about 10 rpm, then the resistance increase shattered me… 1 shift probably would have got me that 10 watts back and would have been total legit and earned.

So just keep the same cadence during the test or when it starts to get difficult (minute 17 onwards) slowly increase cadence.
I don’t think you are meant to suddenly increase like a sprint.

This isn’t the excuses for ramp test performance thread

Why would someone shift to an easier gear? Because they can’t keep up the watts or they start to fall. And what does the instruction say?

2 Likes

cool, agree to disagree. your not going to convince me that half an easy pedal stroke to bring cadence back destroys the test.

It tell you RIGHT ON THE INSTRUCTIONS (or protocol) NOT SPRINT TO THE FINISH!!

1 Like

we are talking half a no load pedal stroke if you do it right… you catch up the flywheel and it’s like it never happened.

Not sure what you call ******* about, I never mentioned any 2 sec drop.
However I agree during a normal ride, but during the last 3-4 mins of a ramp test it should be 100% focus and no 2 sec drops.

It may or may not.

But you are not following instructions and that could affect the results.

and Ive seen people stanting…
I know a few months back the pod cast people were doing tests and I notice @Nate_Pearson actually standing (maybe it was coach @chad ).
I think @dcrainmaker did a ramp test too and i notice he also did a short standing… (i may be miss remembering).

Anyways… not following protocol is not risking not getting the right values.

doubt it.

shit happens.

As a fellow Hammer user I totally concur. If I downshift in ERG two seconds later that dang thing clenches up and overshoots the target wattage only to create this “hunting” of proper resistance and cadence for the desired load. By the times it’s settle back to where it’s supposed to be my legs are fried.

1 Like

that’s not how erg mode works, there is no easier gear. you shift just to catch up to the flywheel at a higher cadence, power stays constant.

It’s one thing to shift to get your cadence back on target after a sudden drop. It’s totally different to what the OP said, which is shift when you can’t pedal anymore to extend how far you can last in the test.

2 Likes

And as a fellow Hammer user, I can tell you it DOES get easier in feel for 2-3 seconds while the flywheel catches up. I don’t have an MS in engineering but I do have legs and still know what it FEELS like

maybe OP can clarify, but I didn’t intrepit it like that and don’t think that would even work, you cadence would just drop and drop and drop like that.

depends on how fast your cadence drops, it responds pretty well to slow changes, if you cadence drops fast then you can outpace the resistance adjustment for sure.

here

he said RIGHT THERE
he is expecting the “rest” window…

If you shift it momentarily gets easier while the resistance ramps back up (1-3 seconds depending on trainer) then shift again, and again, and again. You can probably extend the test 30 seconds if you run through the whole range, granted your power would momentarily fall with each shift so you’re not really gaining anything, but it’s just a poor idea to try and justify with how much ramp test confusion there is already.

Sit, pedal, when your cadence starts to fall you’re done the test

1 Like