Saddle sore woes

The reason I suggest Assos is they have a chamois with minimum attachment to the Lycra (or at least they used to) allowing it to shift a lot more with your body. I don’t think specialized do that? So probably as different as you can get from your current shorts.

Failing that (and exhausting all the other advice) If the sores are coming back in the exact same spot, the only thing that helped me was a month or so off the bike (maybe a Dr. might be your best bet at that point though)

Tea tree balms as a routine daily “maintenance” might be worth a try?

Odd question… Do you shave all the areas?

2 Likes

Does the chamois cream you are using have an anti-bacterial component to it?

OK…that helps. The “good” news is that you can (at least for now) stop trying different saddles, etc. Probably not a fit issue, either…true saddle sores are an infection, and hardly ever an irritation caused by saddle shape, height or fit.

I would try a more stringent anti-bacterial wash pre-ride, not just baby wipes. You can also try some witch hazel, which some have reported good results with (although technically not an anti-bacterial). Some people have used acne washes, as well (Proactiv, etc)

I would definitely suggest getting an appointment with a dermatologist. They may be able to make some better recommendations or even have a scrip cleanse that could help.

Good luck…let us know how it goes!

No, that is actually a very good question.

1 Like

I do not shave. Good question though!

Astringent I will try. Do all Assos bibs have the “loose” chamois or is it a specific model?

I use assos cream - no idea what’s in it?

1 Like

Are you a “hairy” guy that sweats a lot and have have big thighs?

I am not trying to shame you or made fun of you in any way.

Assos chamois cream does have some antibacterial elements to it…

Counter-intuitive, but have you tried riding without chamois cream?

Not what you want to hear after years of cycling big distances no problem, I started to get saddle sores often if I didn’t take off the shorts and shower as soon as I got in. In hindsight that was probably one of signs of iron deficiency and thus being open to infection. The iron deficiency was caused by the BC. Now things are sorted I’ve not had a problem with saddle sores in the year and a bit since. I certainly hope that’s not the case for you but I urge you to get a simple blood test to confirm it isn’t and in the unlikely event it is it can be removed early doors without anything major.

1 Like

Ha! I’d say I’m 7/10 on a Chewbacca scale, and a robust sweater. I’m normal sized (6’ 163lbs) but I do get thigh rub when I run.

I have not tried riding without in a long while. Something to add to the list.

Scary! I’ll talk to my PCP soon I think just to make sure everything is OK.

1 Like

This is my totally unscientific and uneducated guess.
You problem is not related to saddle, but to your sweat and hair.

I would really consider going to a dermatologist.
Shaving might help, although im not sure how much it would help…

How good is your cooling when you wo?

1 Like

Cooling is very good with a mini split and a lasko fan, but I do still work up a good lather. Maybe a trip to a dermatologist is a good idea.

1 Like

Heavy sweating, specially from the legs area, could be causing the pores to plug and get infected. And if you rub your legs (i feel you bruh…I have the same issue) it might just be aggravating the issue.

Sounds like you’ve ruled this out due to nature of the blemish/sore but make sure you don’t just a have fungal infection (basically jock itch) that you’ve iritated. Not saying why I’m recommending this :slight_smile: Really easy and quick to treat as opposed to making all sorts of saddle type, height, tilt, cleat, and bib adjustments like someone on this thread who will remain nameless.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned:
This may seem *insane, but I remember hearing about team sky’s nine separate washing machines a few years ago, so I stopped washing my kit with other people’s clothes (whether it was teammates at a race or roommates or parters, I insisted on washing my clothes separately), and the idea was that it prevented other folk’s bacteria from causing saddle sores.

This was I think one of the things (among many, saddle changes and different chamios) that really helped me. Worth a shot!

2 Likes

I’ve actually had the opposite happen. I shaved “there” and stubble created a lot of irritation. If I was going to try that route, I think I’d go all in and wax it.

3 Likes