Rise block too high?

I noticed that my front wheel is substantially higher than the back wheel when the bike is on the trainer
The back wheel is maybe 1/2 inch, top 1 inch off the ground.
The front wheel looks like is 3 inches off he ground.

Can this cause issues or meh.
I seen other riser on amazon with different sized, so i was wondering if i should get something else.

Thanks!

You mean something like this?

1 Like

That would still be too high
plus i dont like when the wheel moves…feels weird…

But maybe instead of a 2x4 something like a 1" would work…i might have some at home…cheaper than 20$ plastic thing

I would think it might help somewhat. It simulates your position on a slight grade and folks seem to be able to put better power out at a grade. I’m not sure what grade 2 inches would be over that span. I doubt it would hurt anything.

2 Likes

My lumber yard has a wide selection of sizes.

2 Likes

Conventional wisdom is to have the front and rear axle level (same height). I did this for years but was bothered by saddle discomfort, numb hands and related issues… all on a bike that was comfortable for hours when ridden outside. After some consideration, I came up with the following:

When you have a bike that is perfectly comfortable outside, and then leads to problems when ridden inside, I feel it is important to look at what is different. When you do, there are two key differences (skipping #2 since it is not relevant to this post).

1. Lack of wind resistance on the body riding inside. That is a difference that I find because you end up with slightly more weight on the hands and arms, because you don’t have the wind pushing your upper body back.
  • To compensate for that, I recommend that people raise the front axle about 1"-2" [25mm-50mm] higher than the rear axle. This shifts the weight slightly back onto the saddle and off the hands and arms.

Some people notice no difference, while others (including me) find more comfort with the front a bit higher than the rear. Essentially, you can try level to differing degrees of front incline and choose what feels best to you.

3 Likes

Do you have pre-can answers for everything?!

:joy:

1 Like

Well, kinda.

Many questions are ones we see routinely through the year. As such, I try to compile the answers into more grouped posts that make finding solutions a bit easier. Here are two examples (and the first is one I pulled the info above).

3 Likes

There’s also a level adjustment kit. It’s a little bit more expensive than the standard block however.

2 Likes

Probably more useful too…

1 Like

I though this would be a common question, but didn’t find anything really addressing my concern using the search!

Thanks for the help…
ill keep the block

1 Like

Just need a stronger fan…

2 Likes

I’ve actually considered submitting this idea to Specialized to see if they could do some testing to compare what difference may exist, with respect to weight distribution with and without wind, fans, pitch changes.

Next innovation in indoor cycling, personal windtunnels. I predict The Wahoo BLOW in 6-20mos!

Kinda already here.
https://www.staczero.com/vwt/

1 Like

« Honey, you mind if I rearrange the basement a tiny little bit? I have this project, see, it will do great things for my physical health and… »

As a flat-bed truck pulls up with a trio of 6ft fans.

1 Like

I found that my neo front block puts the front axle about an inch above the rear. Might be exaggerated due to floor slope, not sure.

Like Chad said above, I like the slightly elevated front wheel indoors. But! I was using the trainer to work on TT bike fit and couldn’t figure out why I felt so different outside (road bike too, but found TT more of an issue). Now I use a piece of wood that’s an inch thick to get the bike level when tweaking/measuring the fit and it’s translated to better results outside

2 Likes

For sure, basic fitting is done with level axles.

The pool I go to have 2 4’ fans… they look VERY powerful.