Indoor vs Outdoor Bike Fit

I just started indoor training this fall. I joined trainerroad this month.

I’m having some issues getting comfortable on the trainer. Outside, I am on the hoods or in the drops 95% of the ride. While I am positive my fit isn’t perfect, it’s comfortable enough right now. Inside, however, I find myself on the tops 95% of the ride. I feel super stretched out going onto the hoods. An hour on the trainer is starting to feel rough.

What should I do here? I’m hesitant to alter my fit for the trainer since it’s pretty good for outdoor, however, I’d like to get into some longer trainer rides.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What have you all done?

Try raising your front wheel an inch or two to compensate for the lack of wind resistance pushing you back

2 Likes

If you are staring at a screen try moving it to a more natural/lower “down the road” height. Sometimes if the screen is higher than I would naturally be looking down the road when riding I find that I want to sit up on the tops to compensate.

Agreed.

When you have a bike that is perfectly comfortable outside, and then leads to problems when ridden inside, I feel it is important to look at what is different. When you do, there are two key differences.

1. Lack of wind resistance on the body riding inside. That is a difference that I find because you end up with slightly more weight on the hands and arms, because you don’t have the wind pushing your upper body back.
    • To compensate for that, I recommend that people raise the front axle about 1"-2" [25mm-50mm] higher than the rear axle. This shifts the weight slightly back onto the saddle and off the hands and arms.

Per:

I put my bike on the top step of my Wahoo riser block (4-5" rise). No need to be aero indoors. It takes the weight off of my hands which tend to go to sleep on indoor rides.

1 Like

Huh. It’s funny reading this. Unintentionally…my trainer setup is more relaxed than my outdoor bike.

I brought my commuter in for a bike fit when I was ordering my new race bike. Once the fit was dialed in for the ordered bike, the guy went to adjust my commuter that I had rode in. Asked him to leave the front end a shade higher because I like being a touch more upright in city traffic. Not much…but I’ve got an extra 10mm spacer or so under the stem.

1 Like

Thank you. I tried this last night and it seemed to help. I’ll leave it here for a few more rides and then will reassess again.

2 Likes

Glad it seems to have help. It doesn’t work for everyone, but is so easy it’s worth a try.