Recovering from blood donation

Some reference info, just for the sake of curiosity.

Prior Ramp Test on Tuesday, Feb 12, 2019 at 6:26 PM

• 250w
  • Notes: 250w, H2 in 34 & mid of 11-28. Went ok, and legs seemed working harder than cardio.
  • Then I proceeded to do the final 3 “work” weeks of Sweet Spot Base 2, Mid Vol and added some runs. I felt like I was gaining in strength/fitness and may well have increased FTP, but did not test.

I did a whole blood donation on Sunday, Mar 3, 2019 after completing the final workout in the “work” week.

• I took the 250W FTP that I had trained at for the prior 3 weeks and lowered it manually 10% to get 225w.
  • I did a couple of recovery workouts that felt really easy, and looked so when comparing RPE and HR to similar workouts the prior month.
  • I adjusted my FTP to 235w for the remainder of the recovery week workouts.
  • That felt about right for the last workouts and being at the end of a recovery week.

I did a new Ramp Test last night, Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 6:26 PM

• 237w
  • Notes: Legs and lungs about even on this one. Surprised at the relatively low HR on this one. But that could be the price of the blood donation?

With or without the potential increase in FTP that I may have gotten in the 3 weeks of work, that amounts to:

• 237w / 250w = 0.948
    • Which is 94.8%, or a 5.2% reduction in FTP from my whole blood donation.
  • 237w / 255w = 0.929
    • Which is 92.9%, or a 7.1% reduction in FTP from my whole blood donation (from an estimated 2% FTP increase during the 3 work weeks).

Overall, interesting but not conclusive. It surely shows the effects of a whole blood donation being detrimental to my strength/power/endurance. I can use this to guess a bit closer on how much to reduce in the future. I can probably consider 5-7% (6% as an average) planned FTP adjustments as I go forward.

I’d love to not lose this much, but it’s part of my treatments and a positive benefit to some individuals, so it is well worth it in the end. But the reset that I get about even 17 weeks is still a bit of a pill to swallow. Hopefully I can return to the prior power in the next few weeks and be ready for my first race in about 8 weeks.

Edit: And now the crazy concidence… I just received a text message from my blood bank, that my donation is headed to a patient for a transfusion right now.

• There’s the best reason to suck it up and live with the drop in fitness. Best wishes to whomever is in need. It’s a good reminder to have. Thanks, Vitalant. :smiley:
14 Likes