Recommended dongle for Ant+ on an iPhone

I have a Garmin Ant+ USB stick that I use with my laptop (MacBook Air) for my TR workouts (my PM is only Ant+). I’d like to be able to also use my iPhone for TR workouts, especially when traveling, but I need a female-USB to lightning adapter. I am looking for recommendations.

Amazon is loaded with cheapo USB to Lightning adapters, but I find the knockoffs don’t last, so if go that route I’d love to know beforehand it works. I’m also curious about Apples connectors. Has anyone used Apple’s USB 3 to Lighting (has USB and Lightning in / Lightning out) or USB to Lighting (USB in / Lighting out) connectors?

Thanks

Before doing that, almost all devices these days offer Bluetooth connectivity. I’ve been using that with my Wahoo sensors and 4iiii power meter without any issue.

If I was starting from scratch, that would be the route. But my PM is an older crank based SRM that’s only Ant+. It’s paid for and installed, so no upgrades to a BT model are on the horizon. Hence my appetite for a cable or connect that works with my Ant+ USB stick.

1 Like

How about considering an ANT+ to BLE bridge, i.e., Viiiiva HRM or NPE Cable.

My bike PM (p2max) is ANT+ only. I use the Viiiiva w/out issues to connect to my Apple TV or iPhone for Zwift and/or TR.

2 Likes

I’ll check that out. Thank you!

So Jim, I’m in the same situation with a Powertap Ant+ hub on my trainer bike. Wondering what you ended up with. Thanks, Jeff

Hi @jsmithhouse - I went with the North Pole Engineering CABLE.
https://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/
It’s worked out great. It’s so easy to set up that first time around I skimmed the directions. Turns out a skipped a step and my power readings were off. But once I went back and actually followed the directions, it’s worked like a charm.
Happy New and Happy Riding!

1 Like

Another option besides the NPE Cable is an old Wahoo ANT Key (30pin connector) and a lightning to 30pin adapter. I don’t think any other options exist to do ANT direct on the iPhone (I.e. to make a USB stick work)

I think the CABLE may have a limitation with TR to only bridge 1 ANT device over (?) while the ANT key probably offers more sensors while requiring the cable connection.

I’ve never personally used the Viiiiva to bridge sensors so cannot speak to that at all.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming not making the USB stick work. Like others, I tried. NPE Cable ordered! Thanks!