Ramp Test Failure?

“Failed” my ramp test as soon as I hit the step up at 400 watts, but was so scatter-brained at the time I clicked resume workout and for the life of me, could not find the pause button. So, the ramp test continued on for another 1:10, without me even pedaling, hands draped over the bars, catching my breath. I looked up and and noticed the pause button in the top left corner of my phone. I was given a new (and surprising FTP). Question is - is my new FTP based off the total time the ramp test “thinks” I tested for? Or the power I actually put out? IE - My NP for that total time minus that extra 1:10?

Adding to that, the FTP you received and accepted is “ok” in the sense that the delay in your response and pressing buttons did not “harm” the test or resulting FTP in any way. If you popped at the “right” moment for you, the FTP is good.

And FYI, the test calculates the FTP as 0.75 x the best 1-minute power. There is some “error” checking in the best 5-minute power to make sure nothing “odd” happened, but you can usually trust the 0.75 x 1-m power for the resulting FTP.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Exciting to know the FTP result I was given was actually accurate!

1 Like

That’s the easy part! The hard part is now doing all the workouts at this new great FTP :flushed:.

2 Likes

You’re right! Just looked at some of workouts on the calendar with the updated FTP :flushed:

Welcome to Thunderdome! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Chad - what about it there is a bluetooth drop out in the portion of the ramp test above that is above threshold. I think the score was low. For context there was about 45s of drop out and about 90s after before failure occured. WHat do you think? keep the score or re test?

When in doubt, contact support@trainerroad.com and they can take a closer look.

1 Like

Use the power graph to find the peak 1 minute power. Take 75% of that. If the FTP result is much different from that, there was some kind of issue.