Hey folks - there are so many threads on this forum that get into the nitty gritty tradeoffs needed for that last 1% (or 5% or whatever) of gains - but I wanted to step back and put together what are the real big picture best practices from the “TR perspective”. Using this lens I think is useful for identifying these best practices, as for example, polarized vs SS can be discussed forever, but it’s clear which TR prefers so makes the list more straightforward.
I couldn’t find another thread like this - but if there’s a better version I’ll happily refer to that one.
Here’s my cut at the top 10 - anything people would change / add?
- Sweet spot is a great way to train the majority of the time.
- Don’t forget to “sharpen the stick” when you get close to races. (Specificity!)
- Focus on consistency before any “optimal” training plan.
- Fuel your workouts well.
- Carbs are crucial, no need to go overboard but they’re a key part of high performance.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Recovery is important for getting stronger.
- Off the bike work is important to become a stronger healthier rider
- Community matters.
- Most of us do this for fun - always keep that in mind!
Mostly this was a good exercise for me to try to sort it all out - would love thoughts / feedback from others too!