Progression level increases for outdoor rides?

Hey,

For outdoor ride that are synced back to Trainer Road,
Should I expect to see progression level “credits” / recognition?

In order words, do outdoor training effects my progression levels?

Thanks

Only if they are structured workouts that were on your plan, we’re still waiting for outside unstructured workouts to be counted as progression levels.

You can add a workout that looks most similar to what you did to your calendar and mark it as complete and then you’ll get the benefit for that

2 Likes

Just to make sure I got it right…

So let’s say I go do a climb outside, I can find a similar workout in TR (based on what I actually did for power and time), add it to my calendar and mark it as done.

Is that correct?

Yep, I generally do it for endurance rides and try to match wattage/time

1 Like

Add the workout to your calendar on the same day as your outdoor ride. Then open the outdoor ride and use the “associate with” drop-down to choose the workout that you added.

2 Likes

… but you have to be realistic when you match rides to workouts, otherwise you’re getting inappropriate credit for work not done.

2 Likes

Yo!

@jonesy nailed it here – outside unstructured rides are not counted towards your Adaptive Training Progression Levels at this time.

We generally don’t recommend trying to pair a workout up to an unstructured ride as it can get messy. As @Helvellyn said, there’s potential to get it wrong and have things be reflected inaccurately on your Progression Levels, which could lead to more trouble in your training plan down the road.

We do, however, recommend using Outside Workouts! You can load them up directly to your head unit and follow the steps to your workout while riding outdoors.

1 Like

Hi is the above still correct? Regards Unstructured outdoor rides.

Thanks

Chris

Yes, at this time, that info is still correct.

Is there an ETA as to when “unstructured” (non trainer road workouts) rides (indoor and outdoor) will count towards progression levels. All of my rides are structured, both indoors and out, they are just given to me by my coach via training peaks. Looking forward to this feature.

• Nothing firm. The apparent plan (via comments on the podcast) is to get Red Light Green Light (RLGL) out first and then likely follow with Workout Levels Version 2 (WLV2).

• Since they just opened RLGL to people for Early Access via request & review this very week, I wouldn’t expect WLV2 anytime soon, but that is just my guess.

If all your rides are given to you by a coach, why would you care about TR PL’s? Curious since you aren’t using TR workouts anyway.

To compare and contrast. I also use ai ftp detection to compare it to what my coach currently has set.

Just back to TR after a long break (5years?) from TR, not Training. It looks very different now.

Please can you help me understand how progression levels work.

Do they adapt based on the workout scheduled, or the one that you actually did? So for example if the workout was easy, and you went 20W over on the intervals, would that have any effect on progression granted by that w/o? How nuanced it this - so if going over pushed your intervals from sweet spot to threshold (based on FTP), would this be reflected in the progression levels?

To what extent does the report on the session (easy/moderate/ hard etc. affect the progression levels? Do you get more “progression” if you found it easy?

What is the effect of the progression level going up on future workouts? Do they change/ get harder as you “progress”? What happens if you were at your limits on the last workout, but completed it? Is the next one still harder as you have served more time?

And finally (slightly separately), what are the variables that go into calculating AI FTP? Is it just power, or does it take into account HR, or how hard you found the sessions… or anything else? Thx

1 Like

I need more time for direct answers, but here are some worthwhile support files that cover a lot (and likely at least some of your questions).

4 Likes

Hi Zack,

Just to clarify on this. How would you get credit if you did a 5 hour gravel race? Could you insert a 2 hr SS workout, a 2 hour tempo workout & an hour of threshold?

I know you guys know this but, workout progressions on outdoor workouts would be siiiick :metal:t4:

Thanks for your time.

Hey there,

We wouldn’t recommend trying to use workouts to get Progression Level credit for a race. It’s tricky to do, and can lead to inappropriate adaptations that may throw a training plan off the rails. For now, we’d advise not worrying about getting PL credit for the race. Adaptive Training will have plenty of information to keep you on track from the rest of your workouts. :muscle:

Rest assured we are still hard at work on implementing Progression Levels/Workout Levels for unstructured rides and races!

2 Likes