Pro/Elite training

There’s another tier above. IE, world class climbers.

6 w/kg for 40min+

MA Lopez
Pog
vingegaard
Bernal
Primoz

Who else?

1 Like

NvdP’s 90’ is pretty world class. When you construct CP models from the Lotto Dstny riders shown above and estimate for CP90 you’ll end in a similar region.

HOwever, one difference will be that world class cyclists can do this after 4h and repeatedly. Not sure about NvdP.

1 Like

+Evenepoel
+Jay Vine

The list is short for sure

2 Likes

After seeing all this training data from the pros (thank you @sryke), it made me think about VO2 max training. I don’t see any pure VO2 workouts/blocks (maybe I just didn’t see it, please correct me). Is it because of the volume or maybe it adds to much fatigue?

All the race days maybe contribute to high intensity than they would for an amateur doing far fewer races.

George Bennett has an interview a few years back where the interviewer (FastTalk) asks: “what about VO2 max work intervals?” Bennett replies: “I don’t do much VO2max work interval work” [emphasis mine, but his answer was firm]

1. high volume increases or maintains an already high VO2max
  2. yes, fatigue
  3. yes, races

He does contrast himself with “two other guys” who evidently do “repeated intensity to get the numbers up”.

**I looked up the interview, and edited above for literal accuracy. Pro Training Tips, with George Bennett

1 Like

Can it be also bcs cost/benefit considerations for already developed engines?

That is what I meant by “already high VO2max”, when I should have said already at genetic limit of VO2max. :-). So yes.

1 Like

so what exactly defines the genetic limit of your maximal oxygen uptake?

Formally or informally?

Formally, I don’t know and not sure how you would ever know.

Informally, you have a high VO2max, on par with other top level athletes and all the training you do (world-class level volume) doesn’t increase it. I would say, for example, Greg Lemond reached his genetic potential for the day/era.

For amateurs (not what this thread is about) it’s easy: you haven’t.

Before this conversation goes sideways, a quick caveat: no, high VO2max is not the most important determinant of success in endurance sports, but I would say it’s “necessary but insufficient”

1 Like

Here I quote the great Ben Levine, expert in this topic:

“ Elite endurance athletes have a high VO2max due primarily to a high cardiac output from a large compliant cardiac chamber (including the myocardium and pericardium) which relaxes quickly and fills to a large end-diastolic volume. This large capacity for LV filling and ejection allows preservation of blood pressure during extraordinary rates of muscle blood flow and oxygen transport which support high rates of sustained oxidative metabolism. The magnitude and mechanisms of cardiac phenotype plasticity remain uncertain and probably involve underlying genetic factors, as well as the length, duration, type, intensity and age of initiation of the training stimulus”

I got this book for my birthday … 1990 or so. Loved it. My hero.

On developing endurance:

grafik

grafik

18 Likes

grafik

As other great coaches/athletes say, too, there is no “grey zone”. No “no-man’s land”. There is just too much stress at the wrong time hitting an unprepared athlete. An everyone has to figure out on his own how much the body can absorb.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I still remember this. Up until early Feb only small chainring. No intensity at all, otherwise the heart could explode.

grafik

1 Like

1 Like

grafik

:astonished: Sweet-spot for the time crunched :astonished: :rofl:

8 Likes

Prep-phase

Overall training load is critical !!! If you’re too tired on you endurance day you’ve done too much the two days before. Common sense.

You can have some fun on Sunday’s!

grafik

grafik

grafik

grafik

3 Likes

“… without the mental strain of pushing yourself on the flats” :smile: and “Your pedal cadence is also higher on the flats – 110-120 RPMs instead of 85 uphill” :thinking: my pedal cadence on the flats is only 110-120rpms in the middle of a sprint - when I generate peak power on the way up to 140-150rpm.

Moniquet’s numbers are just stupid good. Even the absolute watts at only 58kgs are unreal.

Really nice insights into a real pro training. Coached by Dan Lorang (Bora, Frodeno, usw)

Transcripts available

5 Likes