Privacy Concerns

It just occurred to me/kicked in…after mentioned a couple times on the podcast…that trainerroad is collecting…and brags about…having extensive data on individuals and their health/training metrics. This has been collected without explicit consent.

Is anyone else concerned about the liberties they are taking with what could be very sensitive, and is definitely deeply personal info?

4 Likes

You gave explicit consent when you agreed to the terms and conditions upon joining, and no, don’t ask me to point out the verse to you.

18 Likes

I agreed to nothing.

Bet you did. By having the product you agree to the terms and conditions

7 Likes

Not reading every word of the terms and conditions, and not agreeing to them are vastly different things.

15 Likes

@Nate_Pearson has been very explicit that TR complies to GDPR.

11 Likes

And what deeply personal info? Your invaluable FTP progression and list of completed/failed workouts?

21 Likes

No, I did not. Nobody asked me squat. I clicked a button. Not the same thing at all, and for you to suggest it is, when there have been countless studies and research showing that NOBODY reads those silly things is disingenuous. If’s a tool designed to escape culpability, not to ask for permission.

Whats a gdpr?

Consumer stupidity and laziness does not invalidate user agreements

Also, feature request: can we have a downvote button for some threads?

55 Likes

GDPR is a European standard and set of regulations over data security.

By subscribing to the product you do agree to the terms and conditions.

8 Likes

Google is your friend. Someone worried about privacy should know more about GDPR than I can explain in a simple post, but, in short, it’s the “standard” of data privacy standards.

19 Likes

If you really care about Privacy, then DuckDuckGo is your Friend and Google is selling all your information to advertising.

:+1:t2:

8 Likes

How much you’re working out. How much you’re NOT exercising. Yes failed workouts. Heart rate data. All of these things could potentially diagnose physical issue and lead to insurance denials, dropped from plans, raised rates down the road.

But the real issue here in my kind is trainer road didnt feel a need to ask for permission.

7 Likes

They don’t have to ask for permission, it’s in the terms when you sign up you give permission: you not reading the terms does not negate this regardless of how many studies there are proving consumer ignorance and entitlement.

I love getting these calls at work when people don’t read the agreements when signing up for certain trading capabilities and then get salty when it works against them. They’re the most vocal and always demand a manager, because they know they have no leg to stand on so they just want to kick and scream

P.S. I love threads that backfire within 3 minutes

10 Likes

Got it. So your attitude is people are stupid for not reading 50,000 word documents written by lawyers to avoid blame, that they have no choice to decline if they want a product.

They did when you registered. You have to explicitly check the box for agreement with their TOS when you register.
They also explicitly say they won’t sell your data, or share it with third parties (except in some very specific cases). So this quote from you is just misleading:

But if you’re still worried, you can always stop your subscription, and instruct them to delete your data.

12 Likes

I didn’t say stupid, I said ignorant. And yes, they are extremely ignorant, soon turning to entitled, much like this thread is shaping up to be. Don’t want surprises? Don’t blindly sign terms you haven’t read :+1:t4:

I’d love to see someone use an excuse “well, nobody actually reads that” to get out of an actual legal battle, would be beyond comical

And yes, if you don’t agree with the terms or are too lazy to read them, then you should not use the product.

10 Likes

Go to Support section in the app. You will see the Privacy policy and the Terms and Conditions sections.

At the end of the day you have to trust the company that has your data does what they say they will do with it. If they don’t, then hope that regulation gives you recourse or they will get a massive fine.

GDPR doesn’t keep your data safe, but the size of the fines are meant to make sure companies will look after your data.

Everyone has a choice, the question is do users want to read the Sufferfest, Trainerroad, Zwift T&Cs to see which is the best fit, or just press agree?

4 Likes