Power2Max experiences

Just bought one of the Power2Max’s new gravel PM’s.
Gravel NGeco Sram 1x, for my Rival GXP crankset, so once that arrives will post about how it all goes.

GPLama approves of the NGECO.

4 Likes

I’ve had a power2max for years now.
It’s been on a road bike for 3 years ridden in all weathers, then on a cyclocross bike fof 3 years, ridden and raced then jet washed. Must have been through 10-20 BBs in that time and it’s never missed a beat. Has survived countless crashes including breaking a frame,
has been hammered out of a seized bearing and the cranks are skuffed to hell. battery lasts about 10 months and takes 5mins to replace.
Very impressive bit of kit.

4 Likes

These are all good things to hear, but we must have different battery protocols… The hardest part of changing the battery on the Eco I’ve had since March is opening the blister pack of the correct battery.

2 Likes

Of those 5 minutes, I bet 4 are spent opening the blister pack :rofl:

8 Likes

Hi, unfortunately I’ve had nothing but troubles with my Power2max Ng Eco. Lately, the power readings seems to drop out on regular occasions, especially after resuming pedalling after coasting. The readings (both power and cadence) seem to drop out for between 5 to 15 seconds before re-appearing. The result in that my power readings are lower as it reads the zeros as zero power.

To make things worse, I’ve been trying to contact Power2max, both in Germany and Australia, via email and can’t seem to get hold of them. I’ve been trying since early December 2020.

I’ve tried the usual things, like replacing the 2450 battery on a number of occasions (event with their recommended “Eastar” batteries, checked that it has the latest firmware, reinstalled the firmware etc). I have Wahoo Roam and have checked that it has the latest firmware of that as well.

Can anyone think of anything else I need to check/do??

I’m thinking that Power2max HQ might still be in “holiday mode”, or their lack of customer service (even acknowledgement) might be COVID-related - but at any relate this doesn’t help me. Hopefully they will reply soon as I’m getting frustrated…

If you’re struggling to get hold of a company, trying posting your problems to their social media pages as I often find this leads to a quick response.

What have you been using to read the power values? Have you tried different options to read the power, just to make sure it’s the power meter and not a flaky head unit?

Thanks will try that, including on DC Rainmaker…

Same issues on a Wahoo Bolt as well as the Roam…

The one thing that I haven’t tried (which I will do tonight) is to do a factory reset of the powe2max and see if that fixes the issue

i’ve had a p2m NG for about a year and a half now and i gotta say i’m a little meh on it.

There are pretty frequent drop outs from my garmin head unit over ant+. I’ve heard of connectivity issues indoors when using bluetooth (e.g., fans can disrupt it, gotta watch out for other signals, stuff like that), but i had thought ant+ was supposed to be more robust and dependable. Power and cadence drop out about every 30 seconds.

And then, they say that it has an advantage of accuracy, but of course i have no way of verifying if that is the case. All i know is that my P2m reads lower than my Elite Direto (which is weird, because due to drive-train loss this should be the lowest read) and a lot lower than my Quarq, after following the calibration directions for all three. So maybe it is right and they are wrong?

I don’t want to go through the trouble of boxing it up and shipping it back to germany just to be told that it reads within the lower end of spec, or that they calibrate based on power at the BB (as opposed to quarq maybe calibrating based on power at the pedal)

So you’re having signal dropouts and believe that the power reading is inaccurate when compared to not one but two other sources, yet you “…don’t want to go through the trouble of boxing it up and shipping it back to germany…”

Perhaps you actually have a bad unit. Send it back and let p2M sort it out.

As for ANT+ vs Bluetooth, depending on your environment: one could be better than the other, they could both work great, or they could both have issues.

correct. maybe my expectations are low?? I’ve come to an accommodation of sorts with it at this point

i’ll try the factory reset, otherwise i guess this is the answer uuuggghhhhhh

2 Likes

Perhaps contacting/asking P2M first?

When I got my first NG years ago I had dropouts on a Garmin unit as well. Reason was that Garmin does not implement their own ANT+ protocol correctly, I had to disable a feature of the NG. However, this got fixed with an update later (I believe, not sure anymore, years ago, left Garmin, will never go back).

1 Like

Yes, it’s a pain in the butt and sucks to have to send it back, but that really is your best option.

I have two bikes, each with a p2m and both have been excellent. Relative to one another, they’re spot on. When compared to my Neo, they’re usually <2% diff but always <3% diff. When I had a 1st gen Kickr, it was the same.

What’s the % diff w/your Direto? w/your Quarq?

I dealt w/p2m support once and they were awesome. However, it was to get a crank replaced and not because of the power meter. Send it back, it’ll be back before you know it and you’ll have peace of mind.

After 16months of flawless use … apart from having to replace battery covers the NGECO has given up the ghost. It looks like the resin failed as the front just peeled off. The first reaction from P2Max was that an external force did it so it wont be covered under warranty!

1 Like

Had the same reaction once where one of the battery tabs (for the rubber thingie) broke off. I had no crash at all, but it was out of warranty and they concluded (after sending it back) it was due to external influence.

Had no other option than to cough up the replacement cost (was a bit cheaper than buying a new one). It was a new one though, they just label it as replacement.

Good to know. I will wait out to see if they offer me a replacement cost option. Yes no crash here either, i was out riding with the kids on this occasion. I suppose a small rock could have hit it because the battery cover was missing (again).

True, I am waiting to hear back from the Australian distributor to see what they say but no holding out much hope I am afraid. I am glad I didn’t pay for the extra warranty.