Power2Max experiences

excellent! they’re german, so i figured as much. I definitely like the spider powermeters the best out of those I have tried over the years, and I also like the cannondale crank/BB30 system, so P2M seems like the logical choice…

I’ve had my NGeco for about 8 months now and love it. It has been one of those items that just works and I don’t even think about it. I checked it against a pair of Favero Assioma pedals and power was within 3 watts. And battery life is outstanding. I figure I’ll replace it every year just to be safe but it could go longer. It does take CR2450 batteries which are probably a little harder to find locally so I just ordered few off eBay so I’ll have them.

3 Likes

Another happy P2M NG Eco user here. I’ve only had it since the beginning of March, but have a bit over 5,700km on it so far. Just changed the battery for the first time this past week, it was starting to not connect at the beginning of the ride, app showed the battery at 29%, everything back to normal after replacing it. Went with the 4S hole pattern and am running Ultegra rings, crankset is the P2M Edition Rotor crankset.

1 Like

As a heads up, you can still do it on the NGeco :wink:

Not that long ago something exactly similar happened to me where the chain fell off on the outside of the chainring and damaged the rubber cap on the PM. The cap is solid enough that it can hold on just one ‘clip’ I guess I would call it, but it can be damaged. I think a replacement cap is a few euros, but still.

Other than that the PM is rock solid, no issues and would definitely recommend it to others :slight_smile:

I have an NG Eco on Gossamer cranks for a BB90 bottom bracket from my Trek Domane. I recently bought an Allez Sprint with an M30 Pressfit BB, so the cranks are not compatable with the new BB. I’d like to swap the spider over, but I don’t know what cranks I would have to get. Anybody have recommendations on my options here?

My other option is putting the stock cranks back on the Domane and selling it and the PM separately. Then use that to buy a new PM for the Sprint. LBS is recommending Vectors or Assiomas.

It’s worth emailing Power2max, they’ll
Be able to tell you if you’re able to swap crankarms that will fit on your new bike. If not, eBay works well for selling powermeters for me

1 Like

One thing to note is the battery cover design on the NGEco is awful. It just fell off during a ride. This meant I had to stick a bit of tape over the battery to avoid water ingress, or just not ride my bike. So I contacted the customer services. They want €15 to send a little piece of rubber to the UK. This seems like pure profiteering. A quick check online suggest I’m not alone, with some people having to replace the cover multiple times. I would not buy from them again.

I’ve had a P2M second generation. Since roughly 2012. Think the first generation didn’t have auto-calibration or something. Think it’s now called a “classic”. Never had a problem. The manual recommended specific batteries so I’d guess they had some issues with people using really cheap batteries once. It kinda just does what a powermeter does. No bells or whistles. Don’t even notice it.

This might be a silly question… If I buy the NG Eco Cannondale (110 BCD), can I buy any 5-bolt 110BCD chainrings and keep my pedals? (such as ROTOR NOQ AERO OUTER CHAINRING 5 BOLT)

I bought a new CAAD13 and the current chainring is a 4-bolt that isn’t compatible with the NG Eco Cannondale.

Yes. Power2Max does offer Praxis chainrings that can be bought with their power meters. When I bought my Rotor 3D+ crank arms with a Type S spider they offered a free set of Praxis Chainrings promotion (part of a clearance event to make way for the new NGeco). Otherwise last time I checked they charged a modest $100 add on to get chainrings. Much cheaper then buying them stand alone from other retailers.

1 Like

At last GP Lama reviews the P2Max

8 Likes

Finally! I was playing the long game on this one! :laughing: They have recently changed Australian distributors so I reached out to the new crew and they had what I was looking for to put to the test. Full credit to P2M too, they sent a unit and simply said “return it once you’re done, or give us a call and we’ll process payment for it”. I’m calling them! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Mine has worked flawlessly for 10 months and still have the battery cover on, even after quite a few crashes on the MTB.

1 Like

The only time I had an issue with the battery cover was after changing the battery I didn’t fully hook it back in. Luckily I noticed it was flopping off and I was able to just push it back in.

The ALDHU version is 100€ more than the P2M Edition version, but the only real difference I could see is the Edition version has a bit less machining done to it, so it weighs a little more. The ALDHU is 610g with 110-4s, the Edition version 694g, so 84g heavier. The weight savings wasn’t worth the extra money to me, but I’m also 77-78kg, so I don’t care about every last gram. 8,060 km on my P2M since March 8th, zero problems. Replaced the battery July 30th with 5,580 km on it.

I’ve been trying hard to resist picking up another P2M, since I don’t have power on my MTB yet…

So I have some really stupid questions, which I need to ask before ordering.

I have a Trek Supercaliber 9.8 coming. It has a GX Dub carbon crankset with direct mount.

I think Power2Max should fit it. I basically mount the power meter in place of the chainring with the three screws and then mount a new chainring to the power meter - with 104 BCD fit.

The thing that confuses me is that Power2Max refers to q factor 168mm on their website. How do I know if that is the right q factor - and does it matter? Eg does it mean I need to use spacers or something?

Also, the four bolts I then need to fit the new chainring to the crank set are they standard or do they come with the chainring - say if I bought an absolute black on sram chainring?

Sorry I am new to this part of the cycling world

I would ask P2M the question, they will figure it out.
That’s why I told you yesterday my SRAM Powermeter route because for less money I also upgrade my crank from GX to XX1.

2 Likes

I would drop them a line just to be sure.

This is from the SRAM single boost PM (which I’m assuming is what you are looking at):

The NGeco MTB SRAM single power meter spider (boost) is the power meter for all mountainbikers who already use a direct mount SRAM single crank set or a modular SRAM crank set with a Q-factor of 168mm (these cranks use 3 bolts to tighten the spider).

If I’m reading this correctly it will work with either the DM SRAM crank or a modular SRAM crank. The GX dub cranks are a DM SRAM crank so this PM should work and you can ignore the bit about the modular crank.

I don’t think chainring bolts usually come with a new chainring. In my experience these bolts are relatively standard but with a ‘long’ and a ‘short’ variant. They might vary with what size allen or torx head they use but the actual bolt part I think are usually the same. Also, I run a 30t ring which is threaded itself so there is no threaded insert that other chainrings would require (you can see the two parts if you look at the Absolute Black’s bolts. But the bolts are relatively cheap so if you want to be safe I would just buy the bolts from the same company that you buy the chainring from.

1 Like

I use the NGEco with Eagle AXS and the DUB crankset. I bought the Boost NGEco PM from Power2Max and it has fit and worked perfectly. It came with a Praxis chainring and it worked exactly the same as the SRAM chainring. Love it.

3 Likes

Just a note about using the NGeco on mountain bikes. P2M says it will only work with 32t or larger chainrings. They told me it will not work with the 30t Praxis. But they also said they have a customer who says he is running a 30t Garbaruk and it works great but haven’t tested it themselves so can’t verify.

1 Like