Power2Max experiences

Could you please share details on your 1x setup? What BB, what cranks, what chainring?

I run a Type S on my road bike and an NG Eco on my Santa Cruz HighTower. Never had a problem, both have been rock solid.

I’ve had an NGeco on my MTB for about a month now and it was super easy to install and I haven’t had a single issue with it so far

1 Like

Happy NGeco user here. Installation on my Eagle crankset was a breeze and also love that the numbers line up within a watt or two with my Kickr18, meaning my dedicated, permanently mounted Kickr only bike without a power meter will be consistent with my outdoor XC bike.

Sram Rival 1x cranks, 42t chainring, swap the casette depending on where I’m riding, PF30 bb. It’s been reliable and convenient, and it gets periodic firmware updates with the app.

2 Likes

Can I ask which chainring you paired with the NGEco, for Eagle compatibility, please?

Wolf Tooth 34t 104 BCD Elliptical.

1 Like

Got mine in march 2019. Like with others above, the unit is bulletproof. Not a single issue or glitch. Support was super helpful prior to buying the unit. Haven’t spoken with them since as the unit is basically maintenance free :laughing: Running mine on a SRAM rival 1x (50t) road bike.

Thanks, and have you found that it works well with the Eagle drivetrain? Any issues compared to the sram xsync 2 chainrings?

So far so good on my end. It has been working really well, with no issues compared to the xsync chainrings it replaced.

1 Like

nice, glad to hear that! (I’ve got an NGEco and wolftooth chainring on the way for my GX eagle setup)

1 Like

I’ve got the exact same setup and like I say, no complaints, only good things!

Hope it goes well for you and enjoy the new setup once fitted. :smiley:

1 Like

I paired an absolute Black oval 34.

refreshing this thread with a question.

Has anyone had any issues with a Power2max reading on the low end? I have a power2max NG that i bought a few months ago and put on my gravel bike.

It seems to read lower than the Quarq i had on my mountain bike, which is fine. I’ve tested the Quarq on a few hills and run the calculations through bikecalculator.com, and it’s at least close enough that i i’m comfortable it’s within spec.

But hte power2max also reads below my smart trainer, even after i properly calibrate the trainer. It’s an elite direto and you’d normally expect the trainer to read lower due to drive-train loss.

I don’t want to send it back to the manufacturer for a check only to be told that it’s within the low end of spec. Would just be a waste of time. Anyone else have an issue like this?

My P2M NGEco reads a bit low, around 5w comparatively speaking to my Quarq when I benchmarked them both against my trainer. I recently did a few calculations on the Quarq power based on some climb numbers and the Quarq was dead on to spec.

It’s close enough, but I’ve heard from a few folks that they read a bit low. Might have to do with where they calibrate against. P2M seems to match up with power at the hub, versus Quarq seems closer to power at the pedals.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I guess the answer is i’ll just make two different ride profiles in WKO. TSS, MLSS, etc., all that stuff is so close that i don’t really care, but for targeting certain intervals it’s a big enough gap to make a difference.

I wouldn’t bother with that trouble. TSS/CTL/ATL are all just attempts to quantify load and fatigue, and they’re not nearly as exact as we might like them to be.

I have four PT wheelsets – alloy training sets on two bikes, one carbon “race” set, and a fixed hub on my indoor rig. Two say I have an FTP of 355. Wheee! Two say I have an FTP of 345. Wheee!

I set my FTP in the middle and don’t worry about the small differences in TSS, etc… Pay attention to how you feel, balance training with rest, and let the process take care of itself.

But, I understand how some would wish for more precision.

I had a P2M on a loaner bike for a while. Good unit.

3 Likes

Totally agree, as i said, i’m not worried about TSS–rather, interval targeting. Specifically, high intensity intervals where FTP is irrelevant and heart rate doesn’t get particularly useful until the very end of the workout. Yeah you gotta learn how to “feel” it out but power can be a good tool to teach yourself how to do that.

just ordered a P2M NGECO for my cannondale. Had a Quarq, which was great except that one day I threw the chain over the top of the big ring and it ripped the battery cover off the quarq. tore part of threading off so just a replacement cap wouldn’t fix the prob. Quarq said, “sorry, we don’t support that model anymore. wanna buy a whole new one, but one not compatible with your SISL cranks?” (I bought mine before the SRAM acquisition)

that bummed me out so I’m switching… Plus if Cannondale is installing the P2Ms on the bikes, I figured what the hell.

I always had great support from Quarq before the acquisition and I have another one on SRAM crankarms. their product is good, but the non-support in my situation was disappointing.

You’ll be happy with P2M, their support is great before and after purchase, it’s a well run company

1 Like