Popeye's Chicken is Entering New Markets

Maybe there’s a sponsorship in @Nate_Pearson’s future? Even though he’s abstaining from their delicious chicken a little more these days, maybe their clothing line will help fill the void!

5 Likes

i’ve only fairly recently started listening to the podcasts, but is there any sort of origin to the Nate/popeye’s thing? Did he eat it a ton in college or something? It gets brought up but with little to no context!

1 Like

Still confused by why Americans call burgers sandwiches, its weird, a sandwich uses sliced bread, a burger has buns!

1 Like

Must be a specific region. In Texas we definitely don’t call a Whataburger hamburger a sandwich…

5 Likes

In the case of a chicken sandwich vs. chicken burger (thinking of Popeye’s), the distinction between the two would be that a burger uses a patty made from ground meat, vs. a different method of processing the contents found between the two pieces of bread.

Said differently, all burgers are technically sandwiches, but not all sandwiches are burgers. Examples would include turkey sandwiches, which could be shredded turkey, sliced turkey, deli-style turkey, or even ground turkey loosely placed in between two pieces of bread, but a turkey burger will always us a patty formed from ground turkey.

If you really want to start an argument, or have what inevitably turns into an interesting conversation: Is a hotdog a sandwich?

6 Likes

Here in New Zealand they only use chicken breast in burgers, don’t think I’ve ever seen ground chicken used in anything but nuggets, for beef or pork burgers its ground up into patties, but here anything in burger buns is a burger, but the same patty in slices of bread would likely be called a sandwich :laughing:

As for hotdogs being a sandwich, a hotdog here is a battered saveloy on a stick, the things in like a torpedo roll are called an American Hotdog, confused yet?!!??!

For that matter, Popeye ate spinach. Dunno what this chicken thing is about.

3 Likes

Never thought of it that way. You would think it would be a sandwich as you have a point.

Edit: we have a friend that grew up in Sweden and she never uses her hands (always utensils) to eat anything. Even a sandwich. Always throws me for a loop.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure they’re even food.

1 Like

Man, a good Chicago dog is a special thing though

2 Likes

In all my years in the US I have never heard a “burger” called a sandwich.

1 Like

The use of sliced soft rolls as a bread for sandwiches predates the hamburger. The “hamburger bun” gets its name from the sandwich, not the other way around. The hamburger is a kind of sandwich that is defined by its being based on a ground-meat patty.

The real question is, why are New Zealanders calling any sandwich made with a soft roll a burger?

1 Like

Possibly the same reason why we use the metric system, its superior :laughing:

1 Like

This might clear it up.

4 Likes

Hot dog is a taco.

6 Likes

Maybe rest of the world is just catching up to the US, Liberia, and Myanmar… :disappointed:

I mean, you don’t call it a sandwich, but depending on how you define one, it just happens to meet the definition. :thinking:

Ahh, but don’t tacos use a tortilla to encase their contents?

This is only half right.

If you had to make Americans pick between metric and correct burger nomenclature, you know where they’d fall.

2 Likes

If you stick food in a cob or a stottie it’s always a sandwich no matter what the food is.

Burger buns are mis-named as they are bread not buns at all. Still not a sandwich though!

1 Like

As a UK midlander by origin, Ive been waiting for cob to come into play :rofl:

2 Likes

My first week there I was asked if I wanted a cob or a bap. Turns out they meant a roll or a roll :smile:

5 Likes