Plateauing or burning out like me? This graph helped me understand why

6 Likes

Cool graph. Have not seen it like that. Do you know have more context on the time frame the graph represents? For example, a season, a month, 6 months etc…I was just looking at mine in a different representation wondering the same thing (I realize this is TSS not time):

I understand the IF/Volume relationship, but I don’t understand the W/kg lines. Why does that matter?

I believe the implication is that riders with higher power have lower training Intensity Factor & greater training Duration as broad metrics.

As mentioned, there is a lack of context here without the associated discussion or greater details.

3 Likes

So… more zone 2? Who would have guessed.

4 Likes

Even without more info, the apparent info is hardly earth shattering. Maybe a unique way to show it, but nothing really new from what I see.

1 Like

It does bring up a question though…when adding volume through zone 2…is that reduction in % of intensity happening just through the dilution of intensity by adding zone 2, or when increasing volume should one be reducing the volume of intensity, not just the % of it?

Funny, I was almost exactly were you were when I burned…

1 Like

Same :joy:

I think that depends on the athlete. Personally I would keep the intensity and just take easier z2 sessions as long as that works out. I can do a couple of hours of z2 back to back without issues but that’s me.

Yea same…I can…and have done 4 or 5 days of that consecutively without issue. 4hr days are a bit different for me.

I think the real, specific question…is TR plans effectively have 3 days of hard intervals a week. I’m wondering if with a lot of zone 2, that should be reduced to 2 hard interval days.

I mean, it must be one of the most common recommendations on here for picking TR plans - do LV and top up with Z2. Works for me as well.

4 Likes

Well…I think where things get a tad more complicated for me, and I assume most other people, is the saturday session is also replaced with a 50-60 mile group ride that accumulates more tss than the saturday workout.

3 Likes

As has been said, I think this is pretty well understood. Volume is key and you can’t do intensity at volume. Even if the riders at each one of these w/kg levels did the same intense workouts, the IF would decrease because the additional volume is achieved with lower intensity rides.

1 Like

Someone help me understand this graph. So looking at the green line, is it saying in order to get to 4 w/kg I’d need to ride 13 hours a week at an average of .7 IF?

1 Like

as always,…

It Depends

:grin:

You need to listen to your body to determine that, for your personal condition.

1 Like

I don’t think this is a prescription, but perhaps more a sample of riders at these levels. You can get to 4w/kg in less than 13 hours and a different IF.

1 Like

For sure. I’m in that 4 w/kg range on 5-6 hours per week using mid volume TR plans, but I’m hitting a wall and will switch to something more polarized starting in the summer to see if anything changes. Weekly average IF could be interesting, I don’t know if any of the analysis tools spit that out.

@Janhein where did you grab that graphic? Is it from AC’s substack?