Pete's last episode 😒 – Does Anaerobic Training Hurt FTP, Glycolysis, Meal Timing and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 326

Thank you! Exactly what I was after :slight_smile:

Best wishes and enormous thanks to @Pete.

And also, @chad opining on hair products was fantastic.

Charm city is fantastic! If you have a moment, stop by the Joe’s Bike Shop tent. Good people and often beer. Not sure hw long you’ll be around but if you want any Baltimore food, drink, experience recs, let me know!

2 Likes

So…

There is your VO2max and your Max Lactate Steady State.

Your VO2max is your aerobic fitness. Your aerobic system is used for long endurance activities and the thing we should be looking to train the most (according to this podcast). But in the Coggan model VO2max cannot be maintained for more than 8 minutes due to intensity.

You MaxLaSS dictates anaerobic performance. Anaerobic is short, high-intensity periods. But at MaxLaSS you should be able to sustain an effort for a number of hours (and should be different from 1 hour power).

MaxLaSS is also apparently more trainable (vs VO2Max). Even though we should put more focus on improving our aerobic capacity.

Basically, none of this makes sense to me, especially in the context of the Coggan 7-zone model.

MLSS is maximal value of lactate that is steady. It’s highest blood lactate concentration and workload that can be maintained overtime without a continual blood lactate accumulation So basically in scientific literature MLSS is close to FTP. It creates anaerobic threshold.

VO2 max is the maximal amount of oxygen your body can process. In 3 zones model:

1 Like

Yep. Your reply reminded me of this study which proves your point. Since 2000s. Andy Coggan originally pointed out that MLSS is your FTP and that when comparing FTP test to MLSS numbers, use the MLSS numbers for training