Pearl Izumi vs The Black Bibs for Shorts & Bibs

Does anyone have experience with these brands’ shorts or bibs? Which would you recommend and why? With an Expert Voice discount the prices end up being very comparable for at least the bottom and middle tiers. There is a bit more of a price differential for the highest tier. TIA.

I have multiple pairs of PI bibs in different levels. I’ve got absolutely nothing bad to say about any of them.

1 Like

For cold weather gear, I don’t think anyone beats Pearl Izumi.

I’m not very familiar with their warm weather stuff as I mostly use my club kit.

3 Likes

I have had good and bad experiences w/ Pearl Izumi…

For many years, they were my go-to brand…this was mostly back in the 90’s when we sold them at the shop I managed and then later when I worked in the industry in CO (not for PI).

In the mid-teens, we used them for our club kit and many of us had issues with chafing from their chamois……we’d get a “quarter moon on our half-moon”, if you follow what I am saying. Some flat out stopped wearing the shorts and binned them.

Around that time, I also got a couple of pairs of their Pro shorts (not team affiliated). Zero problems with those. After a few years, the silicone grippers on one pair totally dried out and made the shorts unwearable. PI had excellent warranty and replaced them, no questions asked.

The replacement pair of Pro shorts were significantly better, as well….improved chamois, laser cut bib straps, etc. They are some of my favorite bibs today, especially for long trainer rides (wore them today for the BMTR Centruy ride on Zwift).

No experience with Black Bibs for their shorts, but I did get their basic black vest last year and it has been very good.

3 Likes

Redwhite bibs blow them both out of the water. Last longer, better chamois, no tax no shipping. Delivered in 5 days.

For the lowest end of bibs, Black Bibs wins no question. I got a pair of PI bibs from REI when I was starting out and the chamois just felt terrible to ride in, it looked like a mouse pad sewn into lycra. Plus, they were $30 more than basic Black Bibs. I’ve moved up to better bibs, but I will at least still ride in my basic Black Bibs if I have to.

As for the rest, PI probably wins in mid-end and definitely in high-end. If you’re set on Black Bibs, I generally only ride in and recommend to other people the Black Bibs Ultimate, which is their top model, but I consider to be mid quality. The Black Bibs Plus is the same chamois as the basic bibs.

1 Like

Cheap PI bibs suck. You have to buy the expensive ones

1 Like

I haven’t bought PI bibs in a decade, but I’d take the above description of mousepad over the black bibs I bought, which I would describe as razor blades. Big hard pieces right on my sit bones. I know some people love them, but they were a torture device for me. Here’s a pic that may help you decide if they would work for you

2 Likes

I have 1 pair of black bibs and 7 PI bib shorts if that means anything. I definitely echo to buy higher tier bibs from PI. Some of the lower level ones aren’t too comfy and more comparable to black bibs chamois.
Lately for indoor training I’ve been using giro bib liner shorts.

Adding to this; buying the higher tier I mean $100-$160 range, I won’t spend $260 for 1 bib short.

1 Like

I haven’t used PI bibs in years. But the last couple of years I’ve bought a handful of The Black Bibs Ultra and am happy with them. I’ve been using them on the trainer as well as some 3-4 hour outdoor rides and never ran into a problem. The original $40 ones are ok, but after using the Ultra and for only $80 I’ve been sticking with them. They are pretty polarizing though it seems - folks either like or hate them with few in between.

3 Likes

Does the $80 one have the same chamois as the one I posted?

1 Like

No. It’s a much thinner and more subtle chamois. Doesn’t have the split like the $40 ones.

1 Like

Ahh. Yes, that would be way better for me. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I have multiple pairs of PI shorts (Quest, Interval, PRO) and like them. All are great for all outdoor rides, but I keep to the Interval and PRO for long (greater than an hour) trainer rides. If you are looking for a good mid pair go with the Interval as they have a much nicer chamois than the Quest and the value for money between the Interval and PRO is iffy imo.

1 Like

For me what makes the PRO better than the Interval’s is the leg opening, Chamois wise it’s a wash IMO.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all of the great input. I’m coming from some (what I think are) low end bibs and shorts so, on one hand, I don’t know what I’m missing. I’m sensitive to how long they last, too, because replacing low end bibs every year may be more affordable overall than (much) more expensive bibs, say, every two years.

Most of my riding is done on the trainer in the 1:30 - 2:00 duration. When I do get outside it is for 3-4 hours, but that is rare.

I’m primarily looking at The Black Bibs and Pearl Izumi mid-tier lines, but might splurge on one upper-tier and reserve them just for those extra long rides.

I’m going to try to stop by The Black Bibs HQ next weekend when I take my oldest kid back to college. Roanoke, VA is on the way. That way I can hopefully compare chamois to my current bibs.

If there are any more inputs please keep them coming! This community and its experiences are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks!!

1 Like

PI Pro bibs go on sale periodically and can be had for $170.
These have become my go-to bibs for longer trainerrides as well as outdoor rides

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I find I’m much more sensitive inside than out. I need a better chamois on the trainer, where my position is static, than outdoors where I’m standing, leaning, etc.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any experiences with any Pearl Izumi bibs, but the regular black bibs gave me the worst chafing of my life. I had to stop riding for 4 days to let the carnage heal. I have had Neopro bibs which were a better experience since the chamois was smoother and thinner, but wore out really quickly. I now have a pair of the baseline Rapha bibs, which I love. I got them on sale for around $80.

1 Like

Steep & Cheap is a great site to get upper-tier bibs w/ great pricing, especially if you don’t mind older designs / colors.

IMO, no one should ever pay full retail for bibs….there are always plenty of sales / discount codes out there. A little patience can really pay off sometimes……you just gotta know where to look.

2 Likes