Over training 7 days straight

Hi, just wondered how easy it is to over train? Do you think it is sustainable to do 7days a week for a short while?
I had a nasty virus and have had 3-4weeks of taking it easy. This week I was starting to feel better on the bike and done 7 fairly easy days and seem to be coping well. I was on a mid volume plan doing 5 rides a week and 2-3 were tough 90minute ones. This week I have been on Zwift and doing a harder group ride of about 40mins than the following day a gentle z2 ride and was thinking of trying this for a couple of weeks to get my fitness back. Can anyone see any potential issues with alternating a shorter harder day followed by a gentle spin the next and just alternate?

Yes, you never give your body time to really rest. Also, itā€™s really easy to make your really easy dayā€™s, too hard. Z2 endurance is not rest!

Iā€™ve had some health issues in December and January and looking back at it I think it was overtraining. Looking back itā€™s still baffling how I felt the strongest Iā€™ve ever been on a bike, to not worth anything on a bike within a week. It can really hit you like a hammer. Word of advice it to be really careful with your body. Two months of the bike hurt a lot more then 2 rest days a week. (which are actually good and the days you get faster).

2 Likes

You need easy days but there is nothing wrong with training every day - provided some of them are really easyā€¦zone 2 isnā€™t easy - especially north of 90 mins but you donā€™t have to have a day off - spinning at 50-60% FTP may actually make you feel better. That said we are all an experiment of 1 so itā€™s what works for you. I tend to do something everyday - ride/run/weights but keep an eye on how I feel.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m debating normally Iā€™d just do some stretching on my 2 rest days. However doing a 60% effort for 60-75mins has had me feeling really good this week. So not sure if itā€™s sustainable I guess the only way to find out is to try it, but wouldā€™ve liked to have heard how others had got on

I dont have any real answersā€¦but after years of workouts feeling brutal, experiencing burnout at some point every year, and fitness stagnatingā€¦Iā€™m reversing my approach this year. Not necessarily reducing volumeā€¦but i am going to err on the side of too easy, too little intensity every week this year.

I dont know how long it takes for me to dip into overtrainingā€¦when it happens, or what it feels like. All I know is that consistently, and inexplicablyā€¦I just cant complete workouts anymore, or certainly not without a supreme effort. Iā€™ve sort of arrived at this through process of elimination.

If Iā€™m pulling out all the stops and digging deep to finish any interval than the last one of a workout, the intensity is getting dialed back. Iā€™m setting my FTP by feel, rather than ramp test (though Iā€™ll probably do a few to check progress over the year). Already dialed back FTP by 23 wattsā€¦and things feel much more manageable now.

Anywayā€¦this is a long way of sayingā€¦Iā€™m starting to believe the benefits of flirting with overtraining isnt worth itā€¦the risk/reward proposition should push one firmly towards being conservative here. I thinkā€¦

2 Likes

Why, it will only make you weaker?

1 Like

Is not overtraining.

You will not get overtrained by doing 7 days straight. But you might ā€˜overreachā€™. That being said, you likely shouldnā€™t do too many high intensity intervals (which it seems you arenā€™t).

Remember, that you become stronger when you recover from overloading the body. I am not sure the final word is said whether non-functional overreach can be useful in driving adaptions. Personally, Iā€™d err on the cautious side.

Overreach and overtraining:

• Functional overreaching is the when the training load eventually leads to improvements in performance after recovery.
  • Non-functional overreaching occurs when the balance between training load and recovery is insufficient and performance gets worse.
  • Overtraining is simply a verb to describe continued training load which is too high and/or when recovery is insufficient.
1 Like

In terms of how ā€œeasyā€ it is to overtrain - it is very hard. Most recreational athletes simply cannot overtrain due to a lack of time. Overtraining syndrome, or OTS, is continuous non-functional overreaching. It takes a tremendous volume and intensity of training to get into the OTS territory, and if that point it reached, it may very well be career ending. The term ā€œovertrainingā€ gets thrown around a lot, but itā€™s not a state you just slip into once in a while due to a lack of rest days. It takes an extreme training load, often coupled with undernourishment and insufficient rest for long periods of time before OTS becomes a concern. Recovering from clinically diagnosed OTS is extremely hard, and it is very probably that one may never return to the same level of sport/fitness.

With this said, training 7 days a week can get you into non-functional overreaching, which just means youā€™ll be doing a lot of training for no actual benefit. You can do the training, but you donā€™t really improve. Alternatively, you really take your easy days easy, and maybe your life isnā€™t very stressful at all, so 7 days a week may work just fine for a while. I, for example, typically do blocks of 9-13 days between rest days. I recover just fine, my life outside of training is not stressful, I eat plenty, sleep plenty, and my fitness trends upwards quite rapidly at the moment. There is no magic in a 7 day week, but at some point, given that you train with some sort of intensity, your body will need more than 20-23 hrs to recover between workouts. Take some time to experiment - if you like longer training blocks - then go with it if your life allows for proper recovery.

2 Likes

I ā€œtrainā€ pretty much everyday but at least two sessions / week I take it really easy (short z1/2 ride or just walking and some yoga). I feel like taking a complete day off of any physical activity makes me feel worse than doing at least something.

But as others have mentioned, you really canā€™t do proper workouts every day. Doing some planned overreaching periods are fine but in.the end your body takes what it needs (rest) - one way or another.

4 Likes