Outdoor workouts with Garmin Forerunner 945 - Recommended Data Fields?

Hi TrainerRoad Forum, I could use some help!

I recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner 945 and was excited about using it for TrainerRoad outdoor workouts, but now I feel a little confused… The recommended Garmin data fields don’t seem to be available on the Forerunner 945, specifically Target Power and Time to Go (and also Workout Comparison, although I didn’t really expect to see this one).

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner945/EN-US/GUID-5176B6E4-F272-4437-BDA7-85B31231CB3E.html

It’d be great to know what data fields other Forerunner users are using or recommend? I can still use 3s power, cadence, heart rate, and have wondered what other “timer” fields might be helpful (lap time, elapsed time, etc) to make up for the missing ones. I’ve also reached out to Garmin for with a feature request to add the “Workouts” and “Indoor Training” categories to the Forerunner data field options. Maybe someday a Garmin update could include these? I also tried searching the forum, but didn’t have much luck. Maybe I missed a helpful keyword and then a helpful forum post that already answers this?

Thanks for your help and guidance!
Jake

Sold my edge 1030 hoping for a new 1040. Bumping this as using a 945 as well.

3s Power, Lap Power, Lap Time, Cadence.

1 Like

If it helps, I was wondering the same about a forerunner 245. I can’t find an option to display target power like on the Edge. It does display workout step text, but the text does not include a specific target power, just a zone.
It would be nice if the step text description would show the target power range like it does in the workout description you can read on the app before the ride.

The 245 does not support connections to power meters - therefore no data field for power meter data.

You can do a workaround via some connect iq app like power ant+ (or something like that)