Oura ring- Any users?

Anyone using the Oura ring? I see no need for a Fenix5 as I always use a cycling computer.
Looking at the Oura ring for tracking recovery, RHR, and sleep.

Seems to be like the whoop but no monthly$ and you get to lose the wrist strap?

2 Likes

I have one, and really like it. The upsides are 1) combined measures of recovery (resting heart rate at night, HRV through the sleep cycle, body temp at night, and other metrics such as how long it takes for your resting heart rate to stabilize) which add up ā€“ at least for me ā€“ to estimates of ā€œreadinessā€ which correspond fairly well to how I feel during that dayā€™s workout. The ring has also given me advanced warning (via a declining readiness score) on a couple bugs that I was able to fend off. 2) I wear an old school watch that I love, so I am not wearing two watches, 3) long battery lifeā€¦full charge takes a bit over an hour, and lasts for about 6 days. I hate charging things, so thatā€™s a big plus for me. Downsides are that (1) the ring does not give you instantaneous measures of heart rate during the dayā€¦HRV, heart rate, and body temp are only tracked while sleeping. Activity during the day is also not tracked super accurately, it would seem. I have my iPhoneā€™s Heath App synched with my Wahoo app, and the Oura sucks up the Health data, so that allows me to keep track of my bike workouts a bit more accurately. (2) In the past, the wait times for the ring have been a bit ridiculous (some people paying for and not receiving the ring for up to a year later, but I gather they have improved on this quite a bit (not a sustainable business model!), and now have fairly reliable estimates for when the ring will ship. Hope that helps, feel free to fire away with any other questions!

1 Like

Iā€™m considering giving Oura Ring a try. I understand there are some coupon codes provided to previous purchasers for $75 off. Is there anyone willing to share their code with me (through PM please) and Iā€™ll pay it forward to the group if I get a purchase code too.

I checked my app for a discount code, and it said ā€œfrom time to time we run special offers, and weā€™ll alert you when the next one comes upā€. Iā€™ll keep an eye on it, and if a coupon code comes up, Iā€™ll let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got mine in October last year. The sleep recording works great. I have horrible sleep habits: staying up late, late workouts, falling asleep on the couch watching TV, etc. It does a really good job figuring out when Iā€™ve actually gone to sleep (vs sitting there in the dark watching tv) and actually woken up for the day, and any wake-ups in between (bathroom, turn off the tv, move to bed, etc). Itā€™s nice to quantify my time spent sleeping, in that regard. Mostly I just pay attention the ā€œdeep sleepā€ time and total sleep time figures. Usually my deep sleep is concentrated in the early 1/3 of the night with a cumulative 70+/- minutes. If itā€™s a lot less than that, or spread evenly all over I probably got horrible sleep and feel terrible.

The hrv and rhr (resting hear rate) is recorded continuously overnight. Thereā€™s a few patterns Iā€™ve noticed, but Iā€™ve had trouble doing anything concrete with them. Ie, Iā€™ve never not-trained because of those values. At best they just confirm that I feel like crap (usually because I didnā€™t get enough sleep).

I donā€™t like any of the day-activity nags ā€“ that aspect just doesnā€™t appeal to me. Iā€™ve basically turned off all the notifications from the app. Wearing the ring during a trainer workout it does a pretty good jobs figuring out Iā€™m doing something high-intensity, but usually I put it on the charger when Iā€™m working out. Entering bike workouts manually is fine, but if you donā€™t do it before the day is over youā€™ve lost your chance (and I do evening workouts a lot and forget until 12:01 and miss it!). I looked into their api to try and automate strava workouts going into the oura-cloud, but it doesnā€™t look like you can write workouts, only read summaries. It might actually be more interesting to see oura data on the TR calendar or TSS timelineā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you. I found a $50 reusable code on one of the youtube video reviews. Now for the crazy long wait.

1 Like

I got mine around November last year after ordering in June. The wait time is long, but so far I really like it. As the above posters said, the activity tracking isnā€™t great. I am using it for sleep tracking which I feel like it does a much better job at than the Fenix 3 HR that I had, or the Apple Watch that I have now. My readiness score corresponds fairly well with how I feel doing workouts later that day. I like watching the HRV, body temp and respiratory rates that it tracks at night, feels like a good indicator of when I might be over-reaching or starting to come down with a cold or sinus issues.

2 Likes

I am getting mine today. I know that HRV4Trainingā€™s app will now read HRV data from the Oura Ring. Seems like a good combination.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had hit or miss luck with getting HRV4T to read data from the Oura cloud. I believe there is a delay getting data syncā€™d to the Oura cloud app (from your mobile device app) and often requires me to ā€œbackup filesā€ in the Oura app to get the sync started. You then need to trigger HRV4T to get the data from the cloud. HRV4T will only get the current dayā€™s data so if you miss a day, you are out of luck. The whole process is a bit fiddly and my enthusiasm for trying to get it to work every morning is quickly waning.

I donā€™t have an Oura ring (yet) but I thought I saw a recent HRV4Training app update note about it. :thinking:

Maybe @marco_alt could let us know if there are plans to improve the Oura integration?

The latest HRV4Training app does support Oura ring data. It does not connect directly to the ring; it reads data from the Oura Cloud service. Sometime after you wake, you hit the ā€œRead from Ouraā€ button, just like you did when you took a morning HRV4T reading with your HRV capable HRM or your phoneā€™s camera. The problem occurs when the data from the Oura app (after syncing with Oura ring) doesnā€™t sync to the Oura Cloud and hitting the ā€œRead from Ouraā€ button only returns an error while trying to connect. This requires repeated attempts and sometimes hitting the ā€œbackup filesā€ option in Oura app to get data to the cloud prior to trying HRV4T.

Right now the problem, as I see it, exists on the Oura side, not HRV4T. However, it might a cool feature to have HRV4T automatically fetch Oura data in the morning and continue to try periodically after failed attempts, then notify the user that the data is available.

2 Likes

The integration works fine, as explained in our blog post data can only be read via Oura cloud, and you can sync Oura cloud whenever you want by using the backup functionality in the Oura app.

Long story short, if you prefer to use the ring to collect data, when you wake up you should do the following:

• open the Oura app, synch the ring and tap backup data (which syncs with oura cloud)
  • open HRV4training and read your data

Note that you can also do this later during the day, obviously there is no need to do it first thing in the morning if you are not measuring your HRV using our app, but Iā€™d recommend maintaining the routine as this way youā€™ll also maintain the good habit of checking in with yourself and assessing your condition subjectively via the questionnaire.

Enjoy

4 Likes

Same experience. I can even see that by going to the OuraCloud via the browser that despite the app saying it synced it did not OR the data is not ready.

I thought Iā€™d post my findings and what must be improvements since some of these posts.

Plus point you to this guyā€™s (a (sleep?) scientist) channel. He has a few videos from running experiements on the Oura Ring, but here is a summary video.

Summary is:

• Not good for sleep stage tracking
  • Good for HRV
  • Good for temperature
  • Good for RHR
  • Sleep score is reliable
  • Readiness is reliable

You can now tell the app to ā€œTake a Momentā€. The idea, you sit still for a pre-determined time (or an open ended time) and the ring will start measuring. Then at the end youā€™ll have a summary. Like a snapshot during the day. A good to combine some breathing exercises and/or meditation.

Also, the Ring auto detects when you keep still (and RHR lowers?) and records that period as a ā€œRestā€ under that dayā€™s activities.

Yes. I have been impressed with that. Slightly better than Whoop.

It looks like it doesnā€™t do this any better than simply guessing, unfortunately :disappointed:

You an sync with Google Fit (and Apple equivalent?) but same midnight deadline applies. I too often forget to sync before midnight :man_facepalming:

This is working really well now. Open HRV4Training and press sync with Oura.

Not the case any more. Iā€™ve syncā€™d a previous weekā€™s worth of Oura Ring data to HRV4Training.

Some notes from me:

• Oura Ring says I am awake during my sleep much more than I actually am. It is very sensitive. Or maybe it is telling me I am restless as I have a few rare nightā€™s sleep that had limited ā€œawakeā€ time.
  • On Android, to sync workouts, it seems the Google Fit syncs from the Strava App itself. So you need to open Strava and often, edit your workouts to trigger the sync to Google Fit. This is the bad part of the sync. Once Google Fit has the data, Oura App is quick to grab it.
  • On nights that are cooler and I canā€™t find a finger that keeps the ring firm, I have bee slightly sliding it up towards my first knuckle to create a firmer fit and surprisingly, it seems to stay there for the entire night.
  • The Oura Ring web interface is limited and I am finding using HRV4Training web interface to analyse the sleep data much much better.

Iā€™ll add more when/if find anything else. Iā€™ve had mine for about 2 months now.

3 Likes

I have placed my order a week ago, hoping for the sizing kit to arrive shortly.

Good video. Daily rectal temp? The man is committed.

Iā€™m a bit past 2 years with the thing now, and I like it, but the battery life is in the toilet. I put it on in the evening and itā€™s nearly dead most mornings when I wake up. Sometimes I donā€™t even get any sleep data. Not sure Iā€™m willing to blow $300 to go another round with them. It may partly be my fault ā€“ I think I should have gone down 1 size as some days itā€™s really loose and Iā€™ve heard that really strains the sensors.

1 Like

Regarding ring fit, I have adjusted mine slightly smaller by placing a small amount of foam first aid tape on the inside of the ring opposite the sensors. This stays on for weeks/months at a time, and still fits on the charging cradle. If I wear it on my left hand, I need the tape, I donā€™t need it on my right hand.

1 Like

:laughing: I thought that too.

Second time Iā€™ve heard this. That is a shame.

Rectum?

Damn near killed ā€˜em!!!

(Inside work jokeā€¦we make rectal thermometers. So every time someone says ā€œrectalā€, someone else chimes in with that response)

ETA - on subject, I have both the Whoop and the Oura. I much prefer the Oura in terms of what I would rather physically wear, but the software / analysis on the Whoop is superior, IMO. A blend of both would be ideal.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had mine 18 months or so, and the battery is fine for me - still lasts several days. Not saying that others arenā€™t having battery issues, but this isnā€™t a universal problem.

1 Like