Integration with Whoop/Oura

My Oura ring tracks body telemetry data, like HRV and resting heart rate, 24/7. Every morning, the Oura app makes training recommendations for the day. It would be great to automatically integrate this information with my TR adaptive training plan.

The “data” you are receiving is not accurate or reliable enough to make any meaningful decision, particularly on a day to day basis. You certainly wouldn’t want to adjust your training on it.

It may have some usefulness looking at long term trends, weeks and months, along with other information to provide additional insight. However, this information should be looked at skeptically and only as a contributing factor along with many other indicators. I certainly wouldn’t look at this data daily as it’s likely to negatively affect training/motivation unnecessarily.

Everyone wants this type of data to be useful, unfortunately the technology and accuracy is just not there yet.

More information here:

According to the reviews I have seen the data from the Oura ring is better than the data from other similar devices, for example the Whoop.

Edit:
A professional comparison between Oura and Whoop from 2021:

1 Like

My prediction is it will go the way of the bicarb cream. Or power cranks. Stuff like that.

I’d love to be proved wrong though!

Joe

I’ve been using Oura for about 18 months and the training recommendations are not really relevant to me, especially on a TR training plan. However, the sleep tracking has basically fixed the sleep issues that I have had for years and years, so I’m happy with it. Recovery/readiness info also seems to be fairly accurate so I at least check-in with that data the day after hard efforts. Also note that as someone with forearm and wrist tattoos, Whoop does not work for me as the sensor can’t see through my skin well enough.

I also use Oura to get a rough idea of calorie burn throughout the day. I have to go from TR to Strava to Oura to make it work, so I wouldn’t mind a direct TR integration.

I’ve had great results over the past few years. It’s helped me decrease or increase my planned activity each day, and been key in warning I’m getting sick/am sick/getting better.

Definitely not perfect, but glad to have it as a metric.