Only solids on the bike during full Ironman?

Do you tend to “overbike”? I ask because of a post I saw somewhere else that opened my eyes to my flaw. I overbike and ride harder than I should because I love being fast on the bike.

I under drink and under consume calories probably, and then cramp on the run.

Another poster stated I’m too far in the red and my HR is likely too high and my body isn’t able to process the calories because I’m overcooked.

Think how easy it is to over bike and then what you do take in can’t be processed right because of your redlining. Now think also how easy it is to sit in one position all ride and not really feel the effects until you get off and have to run. Plus, couple in that we aren’t going 20+ mph and getting a cooling effect. It’s hot, humid and we are already overcooked.

Just my 2 cents

2 Likes

It might be worth shifting your diet away from fibre a bit earlier in the run up to your race. I don’t stick to paleo but would have a very high fibre diet - no refined carbs except during workouts, lot of veg, fruit, seeds etc. I’d normally have oats for breakfast.

I’ve typically had issues on the run. In my last race (only 70.3 mind) I switched 2 days out - moved to refined carbs, cut all fibre and changed my breakfast to pancakes/crepes. It definitely did the trick on the day, I’ll try it again for training days, and maybe use that approach next year for full distance.

Have you looked at your pre-race diet? Do you know what you’re going to eat Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun am of a Sunday race? Do you cut dairy, fiber the last 48 hours or so? Do you train as you race (ie, eat the same pre-race meal prior to long rides/runs/bricks)? I’m a big believer in simulating/replicating race conditions as much as possible during training. I’d look at that, as well as examining your salt intake (again prior to race day, on the bike, on the run), as hydration and sodium levels can play a big part in gut dysfunction

Thank you to everyone! You’re all making solid suggestions and asking great questions I’ve never asked myself. The week up to the race I cut out all processed foods and just keep to my healthy diet with no focus on decreasing fiber intake, but I’ll be more aware of that next time. The night before I have a plate of pasta and one large beer (helps calms my nerves and get me to sleep). I watch my power and HR very carefully to make sure I don’t overbike, but yes, I’ve heard this can cause GI and cramping issues on the run, albeit, cramping has never been an issue for me. I’m also careful about the amount of food and drink I take in every hour and keep on a schedule, tweaking as needed for weather conditions, etc. I think I’m going to try Maurten because I’ve been hearing great things about their products and test and condition my gut during my training bricks.

The week up to the race I cut out all processed foods and just keep to my healthy diet with no focus on decreasing fiber intake

This could be worth looking into. Is cuttingout processed foods something you do regular, or is this generally only during race week? If you’re cutting out processed foods, I assume that you are increaseing your intake of whole foods like grains, veggies, fruits, and meat. All except the meat will increase your fiber intake and can lead to some temporary gi distress regardless of doing a full IM. This is normal but is actually healthy- your body does adjust to greater fiber if you keep it up

My diet is pretty solid and includes very little processed foods in general but I make an extra effort to cut out all processed foods that week prior. But something I’ll be more aware of in the future.

Apologies, I haven’t read through all of the replies. One possible option to try is liquid meal replacement such as Ensure or Fortisip (sorry if these brands don’t mean anything in your market). That is what I fuelled with in Triathlon.

These days as a mountain biker only I can smash carbs via gels/Bloks and drinks, but back then I couldn’t put much of anything in for fear of being stuck in the PortaPotty on the run.