Old or new bike on indoor trainer

After a bike fit I bought myself a new bike, canyon aeroad :slight_smile:
The geometry is different, it has a narrower handlebar and the crank length is also smaller (170 vs 172.5). Is it better now to train with this bike on the trainer?
My old bike has a new stem but is still not low enough compared to the canyon.

If you are going to race/ride your new bike with the new bike fit then I would suggest spending as much time as you can getting used to the new bike position. So new bike.

I get quite sweaty:sweat_smile: and wouldn’t want that to mess up my ‘best’ bike:sunglasses: so I have an old bike in the trainer. I have adjusted this old bike so that it is as similar as possible to my best bike.

1 Like

For convenience I have an old bike on the trainer. Most of time I am on the trainer. Rarely I do outdoor rides but when I do, I don’t want to setup my bike again on the trainer.

the other reason is to keep the setup same. Last year I had really bad knee injuries and took me a while to setup my old bike on the trainer just exactly the way I wanted.

1 Like

I had a bike fit on a new aero bike a few months ago and the fitter said ideal to ride on the trainer over winter to get used to the position

I have an old road bike on mine just because it’s a hassle to have to bring in one of my other bikes and mount it every time I need to do an indoor session or the opposite when I need the bike outside.

I don’t race road (cross and mountain) so positioning indoors is definitely not the same as my primary outdoor events for what it’s worth.

I have an older cervelo R2.5 on the trainer basically permanently. It has a questionable downtube connection, and I wouldn’t ride it on the road at all, nor could I sell it to recoup any costs. Geometry doesn’t matter too much on a bike that is stationary, and I have it set up exactly like my actual road bike for the parts that matter. I mentioned to my wife the other day that I have effectively created a legit stationary bike with this setup.

If you race, then train with your racing bike. If you don’t race and just ride for fitness, recreation, then doesn’t really matter, just so long as the saddle is position the same relative to the bottom bracket as your other bikes. You can buy an x-y tool to transfer your bike fit across other bikes.

All good, but you can do the fit setup and comparison without an X-Y tool.

This is only one way to do it, but it is a basic method that people can use relatively easily.