Oakley Jawbreakers worth the price?

If they fit your face so that wind doesn’t cause much tearing I’d say they are well worth it. This never used to be an issue but, for some reason at 50 my eyes became a bit more sensitive (?) to wind and temperature.

Other than ^^^ I think they look good and being vain I bought a pair. Agree with @Power13 they are a little heavy and slightly annoying after x hours. YMMV

I’ll go check them in a shop as soon as I can: as of now I’m undecided between Jawbreaker and Radar EV, but I’m likely to get whatever is cheaper as I like them both (full price is too much for my budget).
I’ll look for Prizm lenses, as you recommended. Any recommendation re: light transmission %? Ideally I’m looking for something reasonably versatile (I assume lenses good for full summer sun won’t be as good for dark cloudy days).

Road Prizm is a great balance - I only swap them out for clear when commuting over winter. The rest of the year they are great all day long.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, 100% percent worth the price.

I have had mine since 2016. Im a simple guy, I only have one helmet, one pair of shoes, one pair of glasses. Apart from a set of replaced lenses, its pretty darn durable. I do take care of it by making sure its wiped clean of sweat and grease after every ride. the trick is to make sure its completely dry before storing it as sweat might strip the prizm coating.

You do need to change the lens around 2 years in for it to have the best clarity. Mine already needs a new set of lenses.

One thing to note is to bring your helmet along if you are trying out the glasses in a shop. helps to decide if it fits your helmet. it might be too long for some people. currently, with a Giro Aeither, the earpiece hits the strap mechanism at the side of my head.

I have Flight Jackets with Road Prizim and a second set of clear lenses. Agree 100%.

The OP has probably decided or not whether they worth it or not. I think they are though. Cheap glasses mist up for me all the time, mid range glasses only mist up when I stop cycling but higher end glasses like Oakley never seem to mist up.

My jaw breakers have been excellent for me but their lenses are the older shaded ones and I tend to wear these days my newer Oakley flight jacket glasses which have the Prizm lens which is far superior for my vision.

20% light transmission?

I think that’s right - Oakley PRIZM Road | Elevate Your Riding Experience | SportRx

1 Like

What lenses do you have and how have they been for you so far?

I got the Gold Mirror…had originally wanted the Fire Mirror, but it was out of stock when I ordered.

Been extremely happy with them…like I said, I have been an Oakley fanboi for 30 years…if you put an ovalized “O” on something, I wanted it.

But there are probably the best riding glasses I have had. I do want to find a lens that is not quite as dark as the Gold Mirror, though for gravel / trail rides.

I would r3commend them w/o hesitation…and WAY lighter than my Jawbreakers.

I was looking at the GP-1X with the HC Fusion Mirror lens. Only off-putting thing is the lens isn’t really usable for trail riding only road. The Matador looks interesting for sure but not sure it’s grown on me yet

Yeah, it is a Love It or Hate It design…took me awhile to appreciate it.

But I have been surprisingly happy with them…best thing I can say is I don’t notice them at all.

1 Like

And no issues with ventilation?

Not so far…at least no more than any other pair of glasses I have used.

The real test will come in a couple of months when we have warm, muggy mornings…I didn’t ride in those last year after I got the glasses since I normally rode at those times on group rides.

1 Like

They remind me of the Oakley Sutro but a little more stylish.

Late to the party here, but I think Oakley sunglasses and lenses are definitely worth it. By way of example, I recently bought some aftermarket, non-Oakley lenses to replace a heavily scratched pair of Flak Jacket lenses for low-light and night riding. While fine during the day, at night the discrepancy in the aftermarket lens quality and clarity is noticeable. They seem to enhance glare from street lights and other rides’ safety lights, usually resulting in me taking off the glasses half way through the ride. I consider this more dangerous, as we often have bugs smacking us in the face during the spring/summer, not to mention I also lose protection for any other objects or water kicked up off of our crappy, often wet roads.

My .02 says Oakley lens and construction quality are way ahead of most cheaper brands.

2 Likes

Yea I brought my 2 pairs of Foakley Jawfakers to my buddy’s house and played with his two real pairs. No comparison in build quality and optics, mine felt like looking through Tupperware and the arms and frame opening is super sticky and rough compared to the real deal. Mine didn’t even sit in the center of the face and are wider so lenses are not actually interchangeable. His were definitely way nicer in every way though I still found them to feel a bit cheap maybe just because it’s so many pieces that flex and stuff.

I ordered a pair of white Matadors with the HC FUSION lens. The styling is unique but the more I look at it the more it grows on me, unsure about the heat situation in them but should be able to mitigate a bit using the larger nose pad to get them slightly further from my face. The arms definitely seem to have their shape for a reason though I don’t see how they would interfere with (at least on my helmet) helmet straps.

2 Likes

I don’t think you would want something perfectly rigid on your face. Seems like it would get uncomfortable.

1 Like

My guess is you won’t regret it!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

THAT is why mine are losing their coating. As bad as I sweat, not surprising at all.