New TR Feature.... What is @Nate Testing Out šŸ¤”

In case none of you read the instructions for your Garmin, it can run you though an interval workout just like the TR app already. You get power targets, a count down time and cool beeping signals. The rub is you have to hand enter the intervals which is kind of a PITA but you ca get TR workouts in there by hand. Automating the process would be cool and quite useful so bring it on!.

But really all of you should have already been doing outdoor interval sessions on your Garmin for years :wink:

But doesnā€™t it need $120/year tithing to TrainingPeaks for a Premium account?

Yes, and its pretty darn easy to build workouts on my phone with a free app:
https://www.trainerroad.com/forumuploads/short-url/liaENkcIINbpH3vjKOagMRUZdlQ.jpeg

You just need to make sure Garmin Connect zones match the TR zones.

3 Likes

Whats the APP? :

Garmin Connect.

No. You can make workouts that are pushed to Wahoo head units with a free TP account. You just miss out on some functionality (making workouts more than a day ahead of time, copying old workouts)

2 Likes

How? I have a free TP account and it seems I canā€™t make a workout without premium. Maybe I missed somethingā€¦

p.s. I used to have a TP Premium account and have made plenty of workouts using the TP editor

Try making a workout for today @bbarrera

Edit: Also I have the free TP, was really turned off after when they disabled the function to make planned workouts with the free versionā€¦

1 Like

Like myself and @moshecattan said you can only create workouts for the current day or tomorrow with the free version of TP. That may be your issue.

2 Likes

yes, that worked. Wasnā€™t paying attention when I tried creating a workout earlier and randomly picked ā€œnot todayā€ when starting the workflow.

Having lost a library of 50+ workouts after downgrading to TP free, not having a library sucks. So as far as Iā€™m concerned, Wahoo is pushing me to pay $120/year for real workout functionality (versus my Edge 520). But if you are happy recreating workouts on the day of the workout, itā€™s free.

Agreed. That is annoying, but they need to have some differentiation to make people want to pay for the Premium version.

1 Like

translated means that Wahoo shifted engineering burden of workouts to TrainingPeaks, and TrainingPeaks wants to get paid.

Another reason I think Wahoo and Edge 520 are both ā€œmehā€ and choosing one over the other is just a set of tradeoffs.

For goodness sake @Nate_Pearson - look at all the noise and confusion and speculation you are causing!!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh Iā€™m sure heā€™s cackling in his office at all this, heā€™s gone full troll mode lol

5 Likes

Ok, that sucks :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Honestly itā€™s not a function I have used just because of fluctuation of doing a ride outside and I usually tack on a couple seconds for the lapā€¦ Also the time it takes to make a workout in the TP creator, duh TR creator is easierā€¦ I just write down the wattage on the top tube or keep it in my head.

I really wonder if this new feature is (or will be) actually worth the time they put into it #prioritiesā€¦ I mean who actually uses season comparison on a daily basis? and meanwhile Projected TSS differs between Career and Calendar charts - #15 by moshecattan :woman_shrugging:ā€¦ I do wonder the percentage of TR users who have a TP Premium and export workouts to their Wahoo on a daily basis. (And how many users use a Garmin with IQ capabilities that want to have some sort of TR appā€¦ again #priorities)

But yes I agree there is trade offs and the consumer makes their purchase appropriatelyā€¦
PS: Am avid Pioneer Power meter userā€¦ happy for their integration with Wahooā€¦ But inside is no bueno

:rofl:

zones for outside are so much better than trying to specify exact targets. Thats why its so fast for me to create workout in Garmin Connect Mobile app, plus I do ā€œlap button pushā€ for warmup and cool down.

For me I rather X watts, I live in pan flat south florida so steady power is easy (for me at least) besides when hitting a traffic lightā€¦
Also now Iā€™m guessing that for the IQ app (weā€™re talking about this as if we know for sure lol) it may be set up the same way as any TR other app (ios, desktop, etc.) with the bubble around the targeted powerā€¦

1 Like

OP suggestion to change thread title to: @Nate_Pearson spilled the beansā€¦ Maybe?
:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

In TrainingPeaks if you setup using % FTP, when TP outputs for Garmin devices you end up with a range. So using zones is just easier and kinda results in same on head unit, plus I can create quickly on my mobile in Garmin Connect.

pan flat here too, but a lot of windā€¦ makes it harder to hit target into a headwind, and easier with a tailwind.

1 Like

I found a website for workout creation and upload to your Wahoo device. Itā€™s slightly more fiddly than having the workout pushed to your unit automagically, but it works great:

Upload steps:

https://ergdb.org/2019/03/02/load-workouts-onto-your-wahoo-elemnt-on-a-mac/

4 Likes