New Shimano Di2 Dura-Ace R9200 & Ultegra R8100

9 Likes

Given the limited market, Shimano didn’t bother to make all-new 12-speed components for time trial and triathlon bikes. Instead, Shimano developed the AD-305 adapter box that connects the old controls with the new derailleurs and battery. One end accepts the existing EW-SD50 wire, the new EW-SD300 goes into the other, and the rest is handled via firmware updates.

:eyes:

5 Likes

All I am trying to find out is whether or not the updated calipers are compatible with current 11 speed hydro shifters!

I’ve got zero gripes with my current GRX setup aside from occasional brake rub and ticking, so if I can just toss these new calipers on there and solve that I will be stoked.

Entire groupset does look pretty dang sleek though!

1 Like

I am still digesting, but think that is not the solution you really want it to be. I think the main changes in the pad clearance actually come from the Servo Wave brake lever setup, more than the caliper body. I think the calipers don’t change much for the pad throw vs what is gained via the SW tech in the brake lever body.

That said, I reserve the right to be wrong here, and welcome anyone who can clarify.

1 Like

Yeah, still processing as well, but it seems to me that the two updates might work in tandem. Servo wave moves the pads quicker early on in the lever throw, which means that they can start the pads a bit further away from the rotor initially and still have good brake feel and initial bite?

1 Like

I am exited that instead of spending $2500 I just need to spend $1800 on new RD, FD and Crank to be 12 speed ultegra!

YAY!

4 Likes

Could be, but if so, your idea is only getting half the solution in any event. Considering they only claim apparently 10% improvement in clearance to start with (and not known how much either end contributes), I’d say it may well be marginal difference.

From what I have seen, I think the better swap would be the rotors for more structural stability from the MTB versions. I know people who already like that aspect with the current 11-s setups, so it may be the easier and cheaper way to go.

2 Likes

The GRX levers I’ve got already have servo wave tech, but if it is indeed only 10% more clearance (I hadn’t seen that number yet) I agree that it is very likely not worth the effort!

2 Likes

Copy that. I missed that in your OP above, DOH!

1 Like

Really curious to see if Shimano was able to sort out the power meter issues with this new release!

2 Likes

Obviously early on this…but does anyone who has some insider knowledge on this have any info on when/where we might see some individual parts availability? I’m about ready for new chain rings on my road/groad bike and wanted to swap to 170mm cranks at the same time. Was planning to buy R8000 or R9100 crankset as a whole since it’s not THAT much more than just new chainrings, but it seems like a new R8100 crankset would be reasonably priced as well?

End of the Cyclingtips news article has us pricing and rough availability timelines.

1 Like

Feeling good about recently buying R8000 for a bike, now that it’s the last gen of Ultegra mechanical.

In a couple of years I can see myself on a new road bike with new gen Ultegra, I’m liking what I’ve read in the news articles today.

3 Likes

I think the pad clearance may also be coming from the larger hood that possibly enables a larger reservoir that makes the larger pad clearance possible. If that is true, then i doubt they are compatible.

Peak Torque was hypothesizing about this before the announcement.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for 12 speed XTR Di2 and to see if it will be compatible with the 12 speed road levers.

5 Likes

All very nice, but will it Gravel?

No clutch options from what I can see. So that is a killer for any real rough use IMO.

Couple that with the general trend to lower gearing (see GRX) and I don’t see these as a better solution for “gravel” specifically than the already great GRX ones.

Maybe you can mix in and XTR (or XT?) rear derailleur, but I am not sure on that?

4 Likes

I’m def waiting on this. I’m 80% convinced my next bike is gravel. Really intersted to hear how this group set goes and how Shimano intends to expand more into that area.

That is kind of a bummer. My biggest positive surprise with trying SRAM this year was the rear derailleur clutch. And I’m riding paved roads 99% of the time.

3 Likes

Yeah, the “light clutch” on the SRAM seems like a great idea for the minimal cost on shifting quality. Sounds like your rough roads are a perfect use case for that design in fact.

Will be interesting to see what types of Franken-shift setups people can cobb together. Considering the new function of the new rear derailleur, (seems to be hub to the charging and wireless), it may not be able to mix. But possibly, the non-wireless guts (needed with the rim brake road options) can blend the 12s road shifting of the hydro-disc brakes with the MTB 12s, but that is all well beyond me.

2 Likes