New Shimano Di2 Dura-Ace R9200 & Ultegra R8100

I was not expecting ultegra at the same time, and not expecting no mechanical ultegra this time around.

The inclusion of ultegra could mean GRX is closer to going 12 speed. However, the lack of mechanical could also point to GRX 12 speed not having mechanical either. (speculating a lot here).

If anything, today’s news + the current lack of inventory of bikes, pushes me to wait for a GRX 12 speed di2 bike in 2022.

Great-looking stuff, but the lack of interchange-ability and battery placement put SRAM in the market driver’s seat so-to-speak. Shimano will probably always have a shifting and durability edge, but these days at what price?

1 Like

I am slow at work today but the Shimano site crashed so here’s my quick contribution for the day haha…

12spd Di2
Ultegra Dura Ace
Weight Price Weight Price
Shifters and Calipers 673 $1,074.00 583 $1,538.00
FD 110 $260.00 96 $450.00
Crank (PM) 758 $1,160.00 754 $1,470.00
RD 262 $410.00 215 $815.00
Cassette 297 $112.00 223 $360.00
Chain 252 $46.00 242 $69.00
Rotors 216 $112.00 212 $164.00
Battery 53 $185.00 53 $185.00
Total 2621 $3,359.00 2378 $5,051.00
$/WT Performance Factor 1.281571919 2.124053827
Component Difference
Weight 243 .536 lbs
Price 1692
7 Likes

Interesting.
Bases on this, the MSRP to “upgrade” to Ultegra 12 on a TT/Tri bike is about $1500 (FD, RD, chain, cassette, battery, crank), plus ~$100 for miscellaneous parts (cables, etc) , plus tax.
Thats a lot of money.

Not holding my breath one could use 11 speed cranks on 12 speed system… That could save a few bucks…

1 Like

From the Cyclingtips YouTube video -

What is this bike? The fade is 11/10.

2 Likes

Random question, you can currently mix 11 speed Shimano RD with a 11 speed SRAM cassette…

Will this be possible on 12 speed? Is it the same width and the like?

Not possible to mix them at all. SRAM designed their 12s AXS Road chain (flat top) with different roller size, so you can’t use their 12s road stuff with anything else (not even their 12s AXS MTB stuff, ironically).

3 Likes

Time for me to look for some old mechanical components for spares. I’m not going electronic until I am forced.

1 Like

Dope video of a Canyon Build:

And Big Mat powering the bike, too.

Really unsure how TT bikes work with this. The shifters and brakes are still the same, and are wired to the RD. But can the old brake levers be used with the news brakes? That would be a big one.

1 Like

Was just coming into say Canyon have got their bikes up already…

Ultimate - £7400
Aeroad - £10,100 :astonished:
Endurance £7400

I’ll wait patiently while @GPLama puts the PM through the paces and hope that Shimano fixed the issues that plagued the R9100-P

5 Likes

I really REALLY want this meter to succeed. Stay tuned… sometime in 2022. :frowning:

6 Likes

No idea. I suspect we’ll see Stages and 4iiii (and maybe some smaller players like INPeak) announce compatibility soon. A good move from them would be to announce this today and ride the wave Shimano created as there’s not much else happening at Eurobike.

2 Likes

Yup. In my experience (which is only a little more than four months at this point) is that the clutch is great. Where I live we have pretty badly paved roads and I have only one dropped my chain once on my new bike. I wouldn’t want a RD without a clutch if at all possible.

By the way, a few years back Shimano released RDs with clutch, at least for Ultegra (I think Ultegra 6800 RX if memory serves). I’ve never seen one in the wild, though.

2 Likes

I have a Specialized Roubaix that came with a clutched Di2 Ultegra derailleur :heart_eyes: love it for the rough roads around me. But it only has 11 speeds so it’s basically unridable

11 Likes

It seems that everything is largely as expected: 12-speed DuraAce and Ultegra go electronic-only, slightly more range, DuraAce and Ultegra are still only considered road groupsets, no compatibility with older 11-speed levers (unless you have a TT bike), and the smallest cog still has 11 teeth. And I love the moniker “wiredless”, whoever came up with it, deserves a raise!

The new brake calipers indeed look like cousins of my Force eTap calipers, which I reckon is a good thing since these are the best hydraulic brakes on drop bars I have used. Shimano ditching its road-specific rotors in favor of mountain bike rotors is a great idea, too. I love their IceTech MTB rotors. I reckon they still use road-specific brake pads, though, right? (AFAIK Force and 2nd-gen Red eTap AXS disc brakes use the same pads as their 2-pot Level brakes.)

You are correct that you can get clutched with ultegra. I have ultegra R8000 with a clutched di2 rear derailleur. It’s labeled as ultegra rx.

2 Likes

The current xtr 12 speed chain seems to work on 11 speed setups so I assume it’s possible.

I was about to convert my tt bike to di2… maybe waiting a couple more months will be beneficial!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ultegra 8000rx just took mine off in favor of the grx 1x as it could accommodate a wider range. Here’s a terrible

Worked a treat. Definitely prefer having a clutch RD now.

4 Likes

Nice to see it isn’t just vaporware. I think Shimano should have at least added a clutch option for their RDs. In Shimano’s homeland there are plenty of bad roads where you’d benefit from having a clutch on your road bike’s RD — even if it is just for peace of mind.