New ramp test estimate display

@Nate_Pearson, nailed it!

1 Like

Everyone has their own opinions on the ramp test and Iā€™m probably going to contradict myself here but I hate the idea of know this 19:30 magic point in the ramp test - I think it overly simplifies things as variances in the steps prior to this will affect this. If you arenā€™t hitting target power in the steps leading up to the 15th step up that time is a false target.
That being said, I do want to try the live ftp feature during my next ramp test. Whether that drives me further into the test, or helps me quit earlier if a reach above my current value remains to be seen.

1 Like

I just did a ramp test on my desktop with the live FTP. My exisiting FTP was 290 and I was aiming for 300. I figured I would use the live FTP as an incentive. I got to 21 minutes and just kept going til it ticked over 300. I then stopped and expected to be asked if I wanted to update to 300. Instead I was offered 317! Whilst this was flattering, and my recent power PRs are consistent with this result, Iā€™m left wondering which is the spurious number - 300 or 317? I understand the engineers are looking into whether the new feature needs fine-tuning but is the calculation of the final FTP still trustworthy?

1 Like

@carbonite @Thefqx I took a look at your Ramp Tests and it looks like you were both still on a version that had a calculation error. Last Monday we released version 2020.16 with a fix for the error, and the logs files from the tests indicate they were done on version 2020.15. If you havenā€™t received a notification to update to the latest version, you can download it here.

The FTP suggestion at the end of the test is the correct one @Carbonite. Nice work! It looks like you had a serious FTP bump.

6 Likes

Thanks for clarfiying @bnied. I feel like Iā€™m in the form of my life but I didnā€™t expect that much of a jump! Awesome!

1 Like

I rolled out of bed this morning to do a ramp test. Felt a little flat and wasnā€™t looking forward to it - Iā€™m often flat after a rest week. During the warm up my Garmin told me my performance condition was -4; thatā€™s not a good start :frowning:

Half way through the ramp test I started to feel the burn and when I looked down the estimate was 100 watts below my current FTP; no a great place to begin to hurt.

When I really started to hurt I was only 20 watts off my current FTP, so that gave me confidence that I wasnā€™t going to go backwards. I just closed my eyes and whenI thought I was about to blow up I looked at the screen. 15 watts up from my last test; that gave me the incentive to keep holding on and in the end I increased my FTP by 20 watts - nice :slight_smile:

Given how I felt there is no way I was going to do that without the added incentive of seeing my ā€˜scoreā€™ live. Brilliant feature ! Now my indoor FTP is only 12 watts off my outside FTP, I finally have confidence I can close that gap; and this test was on my TT bike so even better!

4 Likes

Do you need change any settings to display the live FTP? I did a test today on my desktop app but donā€™t recall seeing it (although I may have been too focussed on my screaming legs)

Click the ā€œStatsā€ in the middle of the right side on the screen.

Thanks, good to know for next time

Any idea when the mobile update with this included will roll out, @mcneese.chad ?

Nope. They donā€™t post timelines for app releases, and this feature is tied to the full mobile app update that has been in the oven for a while.

1 Like

Just used the new ā€œlive estimateā€ feature for the first time and loved it. Knowing pretty closely how far Iā€™d come, and how much more I had to do to get to a certain point, really helped me push through the pain.

1 Like