New Feature - TrainNow

I would have thought that might be plausible except I’m pretty sure TR staff stated that it does not consider fatigue at all - it’s totally based on progression levels - assuming they are correctly logging your levels.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn’t find it. I am trying to choose an outdoor endurance ride. I do not have enough time for the 3 hour prescription in my plan, but I do have 2.15. When I enter this into TrainNow, it will give me an option, but as soon as I change it to an outdoor ride, it changes the length to 3+ hours. I have to go to a 90 min ride, then change to outdoor, and it will adjust to about 2.15. Am I missing a setting or is this intended? It only appears to be true for endurance rides.

As a rule, TR bumps all outdoor versions of Endurance rides to 50% longer. So, if you want 90 minutes outside, you might have better luck using the 60 minute filter for finding the inside version to start.

2 Likes

Learn something new everyday. Thanks

1 Like

Hoping someone can help, excited to try the TN feature but can’t for life of me find it on my iPhone TR app? I don’t have a desktop but understood TN was available on all mobile devices. Have downloaded latest iOS etc. But still no luck. Any pointers? Thanks👍🏽

You must be using the BETA version of the iOs app:

1 Like

Brilliant thanks Chad👍🏽

1 Like

It’s quite tricky planning say a 3hr Endurance outdoor ride that counts for AT with TrainNow.

The reason I was looking to use a workout for an Endurance ride was to get it to count for AT.

Endurance recommendations only went to 150 mins for me, and they converted to 3’45" outdoor which I didn’t have time for. It then became a process of trying to find an indoor workout with an outdoor equivalent of 3hrs. It was easier in the end to forget TN and just search workouts the old way - I used Boarstone in the end

It would be really good if we could search in TN for an outdoor ride duration, just as we do for indoor, and for time durations beyond what is offered for indoor. Then it will be easier to have outdoor rides matching TR workouts

1 Like

Or just match them all inside/outside which support acknowledged is the plan, just no eta yet.

It’s well over a year after outdoor release and another outdoor season is coming up for many of us, so it would be great to just get an intern on this and crank out the work to get the rest of the workouts to align.

It is hard to find outdoor rides due to the time jumping for endurance rides when you a switch them to outdoor.

Another concern for me is The workouts don’t reliably sync to my Garmin, I can setup an outside workout for tomorrow but there’s a decent chance it won’t be on my Garmin when I need it. I wish we could download the.fit workout files ourselves or if it synced to TrainingPeaks I could download the .fit from there

There’s some logic in there for fatigue, but it’s not where we want it to be. We need more data to get a better fatigue profile for people.

IE you could still try to do 7 days of “attacking” workouts. Please don’t do that.

9 Likes

That makes sense. I wouldn’t even know where to start but I can’t imagine it being easy without forcing users to buy lots of expensive additional (unnecessary) sensors.

I guess there’s math to show a difference between someone failing due to ability vs failing due to fatigue? My brain hurts :grimacing:

Oooo, did someone say buy new shiny things? :money_with_wings: :laughing:

2 Likes

Just FYI for those following this TrainNow thread, it was confirmed on the main AT thread by TR that TrainNow is based on progression levels and those are indeed broken after any FTP adjustments (as I suspected above) and the fix is “in the pipeline.”

As of this AM, it still doesn’t seem to be corrected based on the workouts I’m seeing - so I would proceed with caution using TrainNow if you have any recent FTP adjustments in the past couple of weeks and limited # of workouts since.

I’ll say it again - it would probably be very helpful to have some sort of highly visible FAQ/sticky page managed by TR that covers FAQs and status on known bugs like this, esp. for items that are fully released to everyone during such a major high visibility rollout. These forum threads have a ton of inefficient circular repeat discussions and speculation.

4 Likes

Checked TrainNow suggestions again this morning and once again couldn’t get anything other than Bays for the 60’ Endurance ride while the other two options refreshed - - including some of the new POL workouts in the Attacking section.

1 Like

Will my FTP be recalculated automatically if I only use the new TrainNow suggested workouts? Or will it tell me it’s time to do a ramp test? Or do I schedule ramp test manually, if so, how often? I’m pretty sure the new AT feature will handle adjusting my FTP, but have to wait a bit for the release. Thanks!

Hey Tom,
TrainNow uses your current TrainerRoad FTP (whether this is from a Ramp Test, other test, or manually entered) and recent performance to suggest individual workouts that are suitable to your abilities in their respective Power Zones. It does not consider fatigue or periodization the way a training plan will, and won’t recommend FTP adjustments or Ramp Tests. It’s meant as a way of choosing more individually-curated workouts for athletes who aren’t on a plan or who want to supplement unstructured riding with occasional self-selected structured workouts.

4 Likes

At the moment, AT doesn’t change your FTP, nor does it suggest you do a Ramp Test. TR has said that “in the future” AT will suggest / modify your FTP, but that is a ways in the future.

Right now, if you think your FTP has changed, you can either change it manually, or manually elect to do a ramp test

2 Likes

But be aware it will wipe out your entire workout history from consideration in trainnow recommendations. You’ll get default untrained suggestions until a fix is completed. So far, looks like it’s still pending.

1 Like

sweet spot by definition is tempo. It’s hard tempo, but it’s tempo.